Building a sump/refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve silbernagel

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking for direction on building a refugium for my 55 gal. I got a 10 gal. ready to go and a lead on 1/4 sheeet glass cut to my dimensions. Just not sure what equipment and size to go with.

Attachments

• image-3537349334.jpg
    image-3537349334.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 200
  • image-2234836028.jpg
    image-2234836028.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 177
The size/length of your baffles will be determined by the size of your heater and skimmer etc.

I don't have a heater and I currently have a super skimmer 220 but I might trade it in for a 125 bc I think it might be too big.

You can't have a skimmer that's too big. I would recommend trading for a different brand of skimmer. Coralife isn't vey good at making skimmers at all. You measure it with a ruler, meter stick, tape measure, whatever you want.

How do I know what is the rite size for the baffles. I was thinking one double bubble trap before the refugium and a single chamber after it leading into the return

It will "work" yes. I also have a garbage skimmer, a seaclone. It does ok...but getting a better one would be best.

In terms of building a sump, get the 55 and gather up what you have. Then once you measure everything out you can draw it up pretty easy. That is how I did my 20 long. I have 10 inch sections in it with tons of room for what I need.

Yea buddy my overflow just showed up. Now it's time to get the glass cut for my baffles and silicone them in. All that's missing is a mag 9.5 pump a f'in 115$ at my LFS

Attachments

• image-2638451460.jpg
    image-2638451460.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 221
So I think I'm almost ready to get started listed below is my parts list so far.

20L
220 CL super skimmer
600 gph HOB overflow
Mag 9.5 (7-8 ft head pressure)
1" PVC pipe and elbows and a ball valve for my return
Large tube of Aqueon silicon

But I'm not sure about using glass or acrylic both equal out to the same cost although the acrylic is a little more but there extra left over. Plz chime in with any advice.

Acrylic glue and glass silicon don't stick we'll to the other one. Can make it difficult to glue glass baffles in an acrylic tank or Visa versa. If its a glass tank I'd stick to glass baffles.

+1 for glass. I used acrylic and it split :facepalm: 2 bubble traps, good idea might be overkill you could lose one pane on the right and gain a bit more room

Is 7.25 enough room for your skimmer? Also you can go down to .5" between panes

I think so but if not I can just shrink my return and shift everything down. I'm still waiting on the glass hopefully tomorrow on that.

.5 in pretty tight to silicon. Can I get away with sealing one side. I thought about .75 bc I can still work the silicon. From my blueprint if I shirk down to .75 from 1" I'll gain .75" on my refugium or intake. Still up in the air

I siliconed just one side on mine and have had no problems Dont shrink the return as thats where all your evaporation will show i try to make that as large as i can

Back
Top Bottom