Bulkhead fittings and Check valves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok. So now I gotta order me some bulkhead fittings and a check valve.

Im looking at www.marinedepot.com as the source and I have to ask.

Should I get
  • Standard Threaded Bulkhead Fitting (Threaded x Slip
    Double Threaded Bulkhead Fitting
    Double Slip Bulkhead Fitting

The picture looks the same so I dont know what the differences are. All I know is I need one that is 1" inside diamater.

I think I want a double threaded fitting but not sure.

I prefer slip fittings, but there is not much room for error with slip. Also with slip you will not be able to take it apart to modify it, if the need arises, you'll have to cut it and patch it back together with couplers. The reason I prefer slip is because there is less restriction, the threads on both pices will reduce the actual ID of the fitting. I also find it easier to work with, but just realize if you mess it up, you may have to replace the bulkhead. If you are pumping enough water that the small amount of restriction isn't an issue, then you would do well with a 50-50. Only the plumbimng outside the sump needs to be water tight, so just use the slip side inside and don't glue the pvc or elbow in place, the threaded half can be used outside the sump with a male threraded fitting and some teflon tape..... Either way, I'd use the 2 X slip or the 50-50, not the 2 X threaded, there is no need for the second set of threads....

I agree with Reefrunner completely. If you choose the 50/50 try to find the Teflow thread stuff. Not the tape (although that will work). It's the stuff in the small can just like the PVC solvent. That stuff works MUCH better than the Teflon tape.

About that check valve.... To each him own but set up your system so you don't have a flood if the check valve fails. More often than not Calcarious tube dwelling critters will enjoy the high flow around the check valve and make it the valve won't completely seal.

If you need instructions on how to prevent a back-siphon let us know.

I know that if I drill a very small hole just below the water line on the return pipes that if the pump goes off the water will back syhon down to the hole but then the air comming in the hole would prevent further backflow.

i think you should drill 4 small holes below the water line --i would be afraid that one small hole would get clogged too easily--of course, this is just my opinion! best wishes..

Back
Top Bottom