Buying an already running tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leftyfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am upgrading from a 29 gallon to a 72 gallon tank. The new tank is established and I'm buying it on Monday and transporting everything then. I have an existing 29 gallon and want to move the live rock and inhabitants into the new tank.

Should I buy new sand for the tank and mix in a little of the old sand from the 72 gal?

Can I move my live rock into the new tank without issues?

Do I use the 72 gal water or mix new water and use some of the 72?

I get opposite answers everywhere I read and am looking for someone who has done this before.

Thanks for any help.

You don't need to mix in any old sand , get all new.
As long as your current live rock is cured then yes you can move into the 72 with no issues. Get new water you can keep 10 or so gallons if you want just make sure you keep the old filter media.

why get all new sand, why not rinse off the established sand from the new tank. get all thecrap out of it and rinse off the critters so there is no die off

Thanks guys. I do like to do deep sand bed, so I need more sand anyway. If I rinsed it, I would have to use RO water? And how do I know I rinsed it well enough? I am keeping all the media the same, definitely. There is established live rock in the 72 as well so there should be a pretty good source of bacteria.

Do either of you do a deep sand bed (DSB)?

Back
Top Bottom