Calculating number of fish for aquarium size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tigger

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi...We have a 55 gal tank... I am trying to calculate if I can purchase additional fish. I obtained the following adult fish measurements from liveaquaria.com :

Percula Clownfish Adult size up to 3 in (2)
Royal Gramma Adult size up to 3 in (1)
Yellow Tang Adult size up to 8 in (1)
Butterfly Adult up to 10 in (1)

According to the calculator on this website, I can have 11 inches of fish excluding the tail. Are the above measurements including/excluding the tail? Please let me know what you think. I also have a chocolate chip starfish. Do starfish/snails factor in to the max load in an aquarium? If so, how do you calculate "fish inches"?

TIA,

Natalie

I dont think that people normally calculate inverts in the bioload.....although im not sure why...

Your at your maxium capacity now. Inverts are not calculated because they usually have very little bioload on the system.

how many can u do with a 90 gal i have 1 tang and 2 lil damsel's i plan on doing one more tang, nemo's lol i love them and 1-3 more fish is taht to much?

As a general rule of thumb the figure is 1" of adult fish per 5 gal of water capacity. While like many other rules of thumb this figure does have some merrit but also is not a blanket statement for every tank or every fish. For example there are some fish that can get quite large and while you might be within your inch of fish allotment the physical dimentions of the tank can be restrictive enough to not permit a healthy enviorment. Or you might be within your inch of fish rule but the fish you select are not compatible due to either their agressive nature or their feeding habits.

Back
Top Bottom