Caleb getting salty!?! No way..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My concern is it looked like he was struggling with the powerhead. He was swim in the current for a bit then rest on the sand bed, swim some more, then rest. It worries me... He looked really healthy at the LFS and his tank there was spotless(it's the best LFS in the area). I turned the powerhead off before I left for work this morning and he seems to enjoy not having to fight a current constantly. I don't know if he is just weaker or just because he's still young.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can you adjust the flow rate on the powerhead? You could try aiming it differently to change the current

Jesse

I had it aimed pretty much at the surface for agitation. Can't adjust the flow it's 425gph. Because of the tank size it moves the whole tank so there's a constant current no matter where he is.

You can use rocks to help block some of the flow. Blue/green chromis love the current and a school of three would look nice in your tank.

I was thinking of maybe aiming it into a corner at an angle. It would create surface agitation while deflecting crazy current across the tank, although it would still be strong in the obvious area

Jesse

You can use rocks to help block some of the flow. Blue/green chromis love the current and a school of three would look nice in your tank.

Thanks Finn, but I feel I'd be overstocked? I already have my snowflake and being on college budget literally now I want to keep water changes low. If I could slowly add them and not be badly overstocked then I'm okay with that.

I was thinking of maybe aiming it into a corner at an angle. It would create surface agitation while deflecting crazy current across the tank, although it would still be strong in the obvious area

Jesse

Thanks Jesse, I may actually try that once I get home tonight.

Thanks Finn, but I feel I'd be overstocked? I already have my snowflake and being on college budget literally now I want to keep water changes low. If I could slowly add them and not be badly overstocked then I'm okay with that.

Thanks Jesse, I may actually try that once I get home tonight.

Oh, sorry. I keep thinking that this is in a bigger tank.

Is it normal for clowns to rest literally on the sand bed when the light is off? I came home and nearly freaked out when I saw him laying there then he just popped up and started swimming again. He rejected my frozen bloodworms but he seems to like NLS flakes. I don't want to keep using flakes though because they are so messy. In my community tank everything gets eaten even if it hits the floor in here I worry about leftover food and make sure to watch him eat it all.

Hermit in his resting spot
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433199475.649150.jpg

A few *better* pics

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433199522.119923.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433199536.120762.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433199560.689853.jpg

Cool clown! Glad to see things coming along!

Thanks Paul! I never realized how small those hermits really are...

Few questions though.

1. Where can I get some more shells for the hermit so he can choose?

2. What do you feed your clowns? Mine didn't really like frozen bloodworms and I don't want to stay with flakes.

Thanks Paul! I never realized how small those hermits really are...

Few questions though.

1. Where can I get some more shells for the hermit so he can choose?

2. What do you feed your clowns? Mine didn't really like frozen bloodworms and I don't want to stay with flakes.

You can usually get empty shells from the LFS, you may have to ask. Try frozen mysis shrimp for the clown, if that don't work you have a picky clown which usually is bit the case.

You can usually get empty shells from the LFS, you may have to ask. Try frozen mysis shrimp for the clown, if that don't work you have a picky clown which usually is bit the case.

Thanks :) going to snoop around and see if I can find my some shrimp. Hopefully he won't eat the real shrimp one day though ?

Thanks :) going to snoop around and see if I can find my some shrimp. Hopefully he won't eat the real shrimp one day though ��

Mysis is sold at the pet store in the frozen food section, I'd alot smaller than your shrimp. I usually go with San Francisco Bay Brand because it is usually available and a great product IME/IMO. I steer clear of the omega one frozen and others with the gel binders.

Mysis is sold at the pet store in the frozen food section, I'd alot smaller than your shrimp. I usually go with San Francisco Bay Brand because it is usually available and a great product IME/IMO. I steer clear of the omega one frozen and others with the gel binders.

Great to know. My freshwater fish love the omega one bloodworms and that's what I tried with him. He didn't like it so the Jack Dempsey ate them for him.

Speaking of him? How do you sex clowns? Just out of curiosity.

Great to know. My freshwater fish love the omega one bloodworms and that's what I tried with him. He didn't like it so the Jack Dempsey ate them for him.

Speaking of him? How do you sex clowns? Just out of curiosity.

Don't know this one. I usually assume the female is the largest in the pair, singly I couldn't tell them apart in any way.

Don't know this one. I usually assume the female is the largest in the pair, singly I couldn't tell them apart in any way.

Something Paul doesn't know??? Atrocity! Google it is..

Back
Top Bottom