Caleb getting salty!?! No way..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's what ocellarisclownfish.com has to say...

"So in the most general sense, if you have a very young clownfish, it is likely neither male nor female. If you have one clownfish that is a bit older or has been by itself for some time then it is likely a female. If you have more than one, then the female will be larger and more aggressive. The next most aggressive will probably be male and the rest will most likely either be males or juveniles."

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree with ocellarisclownfish.com, females are larger and more aggressive and if you have two females the dominant one will change to a male.

Well guys it's coming up on the first water change for little Saurus the clown. Got a question I'm probably just really overthinking.

My tank is due for a top off but I plan on a water change tomorrow prob or Saturday. If I don't top off the tank and add straight new saltwater will it mess up the salinity? Or do I need to top it off with RODI then do the water change?

Yep probably seriously overthinking but I'll ask anyway to be sure.

Caleb

Also... Found these little stringy looking things on part of my LR. Seeing all the things that can happen in SW worry me :(

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433460376.319608.jpg

Caleb

How much water is missing from evap?
You can just mix new water a little lite.
How do you test your sg?
If using a refractometer(think you are?) then you can easily track tank and new water(simple math don't overthink).
Be careful if using a hydrometer as they swing literally!
I let my tanks swing pretty good with evap as I have large sumps and do not even desire an ATO, and my stock doesn't seem to notice at all.

How much water is missing from evap?
You can just mix new water a little lite.
How do you test your sg?
If using a refractometer(think you are?) then you can easily track tank and new water(simple math don't overthink).
Be careful if using a hydrometer as they swing literally!
I let my tanks swing pretty good with evap as I have large sumps and do not even desire an ATO, and my stock doesn't seem to notice at all.

It's a 10g tank no sump lol. Probably only a gallon missing. I planned on changing two a week.

Yes I went ahead and dished out for a nice refractometer

Caleb

Done some searching on reef central and have what I think is 2 possibilities.

Spaghetti worm -OR- vermetid snails. Not really sure which though.

Caleb

Done some searching on reef central and have what I think is 2 possibilities.

Spaghetti worm -OR- vermetid snails. Not really sure which though.

Caleb

now that I finally eradicated my infestation lets see if I can help you (y)

I had both spinoide worms and vermidth snails infestation

first question for you :

where you see the little stringy things coming off the rocks do you see little spiral looking shells on the rocks , and or

second:

where the stringy things come out of the rock do they look like small shoots,

Third:

do you run charcoal
reason I ask is I found that the charcoal had a big lead in the cause,
if so remove it

Now if you only see like 2 or 3 you can just glue them closed , but once they start spreading it's not as easy ,

I had 1000's on my rocks first I tried to scrub them off with a stiff brush
that didn't work , they were back with in a day or so ,

so I decided I was going to play hard ball , removed rock soaked it in a peroxide bath 25% tank water to 75% peroxide soak aprox 10 min , than rinse in clean tank water to neutralize the peroxide ,

if you try to stop them in the tank it's almost impossible ,

well that is how I removed them from my rocks ,

now I also had 1000's of them in my sand bed , now this is where I was pulling my hair out ,
I replaced my sand bed once but they came back but I also didn't know the charcoal I was running had a big roll in this , it was fueling tons of phosphates ,
now after removal of the charcoal I cleaned out the sump ,
than I went on and removed the sand a second time , I also did 2 50% water changes after sand was removed to be sure fish weren't affected with any of the toxic gases that laid beneath the sand bed,
replaced sand one cup at a time to keep dust down and after I was done did a final 20% water change ,
I hope you don't encounter the big head ach I did as yes as you guessed it it's not fun
if I can help in any way just holler at me

now that I finally eradicated my infestation lets see if I can help you (y)

I had both spinoide worms and vermidth snails infestation

first question for you :

where you see the little stringy things coming off the rocks do you see little spiral looking shells on the rocks , and or

second:

where the stringy things come out of the rock do they look like small shoots,

Third:

do you run charcoal
reason I ask is I found that the charcoal had a big lead in the cause,
if so remove it

Now if you only see like 2 or 3 you can just glue them closed , but once they start spreading it's not as easy ,

I had 1000's on my rocks first I tried to scrub them off with a stiff brush
that didn't work , they were back with in a day or so ,

so I decided I was going to play hard ball , removed rock soaked it in a peroxide bath 25% tank water to 75% peroxide soak aprox 10 min , than rinse in clean tank water to neutralize the peroxide ,

if you try to stop them in the tank it's almost impossible ,

well that is how I removed them from my rocks ,

now I also had 1000's of them in my sand bed , now this is where I was pulling my hair out ,
I replaced my sand bed once but they came back but I also didn't know the charcoal I was running had a big roll in this , it was fueling tons of phosphates ,
now after removal of the charcoal I cleaned out the sump ,
than I went on and removed the sand a second time , I also did 2 50% water changes after sand was removed to be sure fish weren't affected with any of the toxic gases that laid beneath the sand bed,
replaced sand one cup at a time to keep dust down and after I was done did a final 20% water change ,
I hope you don't encounter the big head ach I did as yes as you guessed it it's not fun
if I can help in any way just holler at me

Thanks seaweed. Like the picture above (few posts up) it just looks like small shoots. I haven't pulled out the rock to completely examine it for fear of what it is. I read that the snails will stick our shoots to feed off the water column leading to my guess of the vermetids.

Caleb

if you see these on the rocks it's a vermidth snail,
Aletes_squamagerus.jpg

this site can help id a lot of things you find in your tank
Gastropod Family Index
spinoids have a straight stalk sometimes mistaken as a feather duster shoot
007%20Spionid%2006.jpg

if your rock is easy to remove I would suggest a peroxide bath
this is what spinoids look like after they take over the sand
img_3231419_2_87819e0e1f51708dc3541e5846468854.jpg

and you'll find these in your sand I removed bricks there was so many
I don't wish this head ach on anyone
img_3231419_3_f4093ad208879bffd1f03fe043d395bc.jpg

I used 75% peroxide to 25% tank water but I had 1000's
you could probably get by with a 50/50 mix since you only have a few
always better to catch them early than get slammed later

I used 75% peroxide to 25% tank water but I had 1000's
you could probably get by with a 50/50 mix since you only have a few
always better to catch them early than get slammed later

Okay thanks! That's on the to-do list for tomorrow;)

Caleb

The worm is an opportunistic feeder and no threat to a well managed tank.
No fear even on your new tank.
For future ref you can inject H2O2 into salt water like fresh to deal with some pest.
The worm is no pest unless you have some huge nutrient issue and end up with an infestation like in 54's 3rd pic.HOLY!

The worm is an opportunistic feeder and no threat to a well managed tank.
No fear even on your new tank.
For future ref you can inject H2O2 into salt water like fresh to deal with some pest.
The worm is no pest unless you have some huge nutrient issue and end up with an infestation like in 54's 3rd pic.HOLY!

Agreed. Some corals do have a negative reaction to the h202 though, mostly SPS.

Well I think I vacuumed them up during the water change on Sunday. Haven't seen any noticeable ones yet! Woohoo!

Also I went to get my dwarf puffer yesterday and couldn't resist :D

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433910873.469988.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433910891.620604.jpg

And the dwarf puffer just for fun:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433910921.242677.jpg

My hermit has been hiding in his shell quite a bit but I did see him snag some food yesterday the clown missed. I got him a few shells fro few from the LFS looking into finding some prettier ones me and him will like.

Caleb

Would an RBTA work in my tank? I like them but I don't want it to outgrow my tank for a while.

EDIT: by a while mean like a year at least. Money is becoming tight and just dropped a ton on car maintenance..

Caleb

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom