Caleb getting salty!?! No way..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Define work in the tank. If you have the lighting for one sure. They do t get that big.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have the Taptronics 165w dimmable.

This one:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433951304.125927.jpg

I haven't done a whole lot of work on it. Mainly just a water change and vacuumed up those tube things whatever they were. Along with the salt creep and wiping the tank clean of course

Caleb

That'll keep any photosynthetic anemone. If you want to give it a shot, I'd just make sure to wait until the tank matures more so it is stable enough not to stress it. One moving around the tank and onto corals is a tragedy.

That'll keep any photosynthetic anemone. If you want to give it a shot, I'd just make sure to wait until the tank matures more so it is stable enough not to stress it. One moving around the tank and onto corals is a tragedy.

That's great my light could support it though I'm still unsure how to "care" when adding a new coral to the tank. I know FW you just throw the plants right in but it's not the same for coral and some stuff with the lighting.

How long does my tank need to mature before adding a nem?

Should I add the RBTA first or can other coral come first? I don't want it moving around like you said and hurting my others.

Caleb

6-12 months and it will be stable enough.
Acclimation is easy. If you drip acclimate things to adjust them to your water, you need to slowly acclimate them to your lighting too. So you turn them down and slowly turn them up every week.

Your light should be great!
Wait at least 6 months like Hank said.
You are going to have a lot of fun in that time with the tank.
The nem needs a stable tank(NO I don't know why stuff....).
Once your running 6+ months and YOU feel like you have a good grip then you NEM!
Even if you think know about the system before 6 months ,the water is not ready yet.

The why is easy. The tank is maturing. In that time you can even have small mini cycles and other things happen that can be stressful to an anemone. I jumped the gun on a green BTA and it didn't survive because I lacked patience. It never found a home where it wasn't stressed and would hide.

6-12 months and it will be stable enough.
Acclimation is easy. If you drip acclimate things to adjust them to your water, you need to slowly acclimate them to your lighting too. So you turn them down and slowly turn them up every week.

The why is easy. The tank is maturing. In that time you can even have small mini cycles and other things happen that can be stressful to an anemone. I jumped the gun on a green BTA and it didn't survive because I lacked patience. It never found a home where it wasn't stressed and would hide.

Thanks Hank that answered my "whys" :D probably be good for me to get a grip and some more money because coral is not cheap...

Your light should be great!
Wait at least 6 months like Hank said.
You are going to have a lot of fun in that time with the tank.
The nem needs a stable tank(NO I don't know why stuff....).
Once your running 6+ months and YOU feel like you have a good grip then you NEM!
Even if you think know about the system before 6 months ,the water is not ready yet.

Thanks bandit it's going to be a like 6 months but I have the patience if it means I won't kill anything... Well.. Try not to. ;)

Caleb

After reading that story on here of the cleaner shrimp death due to supposed acclimation I find myself constantly checking mine every few hours to be sure it's okay. I dripped him for 3 hours to be sure he was okay and left the lights off.

Caleb

Now I'm freakin pissed. Walk into my room to see a dead shrimp. I don't know what it is I can keep any fish I want to healthy but I absolutely can't keep a shrimp alive. I acclimated this guy for 3.5 HOURS. I watched him eat yesterday... The only assumption I can make it a temp swing... Temp is at 82. A little warm....

Caleb

I haven't ever been successful with shrimp either. They are simply sensitive and they can be hurt without noticing when caught, even in the fish store.

I haven't ever been successful with shrimp either. They are simply sensitive and they can be hurt without noticing when caught, even in the fish store.

Thanks Hank. He was really fun while I had him. I just don't have a thumb for inverts I guess. I'm thinking of one of those heaters that has a meter where it shuts off once the tank hits a specified temperature because I'm pretty sure that's what happened

Caleb

are you sure it's a dead shrimp or is it a molt my $ is on a molt
my reef is kept at 81* but 82* isn't bad either it's anything above that's a issue

Glad you found him/her?
Mine used to load with eggs after every molt!
Be on the lookout as it is pretty cool.
No chance of ever raising or see any babies though.

Back
Top Bottom