Caleb getting salty!?! No way..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429727270.936271.jpg

Getting one of these and the bag of Reef Crystals at my feet. Will I need the reef test kit?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429727901.382937.jpg

Great experience with these. Run them on 3 tanks right now. Guess I'll use one for this tank as well.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

View attachment 270671

Getting one of these and the bag of Reef Crystals at my feet. Will I need the reef test kit?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Sure, pick up your basic 3 tests for Alk, Calcium and Magnesium and you'll be good to go.

Softies aren't too fussed about it either way, just let the salt do the work and try not to worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks CCXGT.

Any suggestions on lighting? I have a 10g LED by Marineland with whites and blues. It's on my Betta tank but I can easily do a DIY for that. The LED is rated at 6500k I believe. Is this strong enough for the basic corals? I know lighting is where the big $$$ comes in...

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks CCXGT.

Any suggestions on lighting? I have a 10g LED by Marineland with whites and blues. It's on my Betta tank but I can easily do a DIY for that. The LED is rated at 6500k I believe. Is this strong enough for the basic corals? I know lighting is where the big $$$ comes in...

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Well the PAR38 bulbs mentioned would be able to grow pretty much anything you put them over.

I know someone who uses the Current USA Orbit Marine thing... That seems to work perfectly fine for him.

It'll take some rooting around until you find the one for you.

As far as that white and blue light is concerned, more info on it would be needed to judge.

My only concern is I cannot do hanging lights. I can do clip on though. This one says to keep at least 10 inches from the tank. Any DIY ideas to hold it up?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

My only concern is I cannot do hanging lights. I can do clip on though. This one says to keep at least 10 inches from the tank. Any DIY ideas to hold it up?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I had a similar unit before I replaced it with a tank mounted fixture.

I found no elegant way of hanging a big black brick above such a small tank.

I had a similar unit before I replaced it with a tank mounted fixture.

I found no elegant way of hanging a big black brick above such a small tank.

Maybe I should look for a clip on then...

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429736498.044705.jpg

Reviews say it can support soft corals. Yay or nay? I'm still looking. I really don't want to go above the $150 mark.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

You could easily fab something up to hold the light. Especially if its not too heavy. A pair of tall "L" bracket mounted to the stand or to a board sitting between the tank and stand. Use small chain to hold the light below the bracket. Lots of DIY things you can do in almost everything. Just boils down to how big your wallet is versus how crafty you can be.

You could easily fab something up to hold the light. Especially if its not too heavy. A pair of tall "L" bracket mounted to the stand or to a board sitting between the tank and stand. Use small chain to hold the light below the bracket. Lots of DIY things you can do in almost everything. Just boils down to how big your wallet is versus how crafty you can be.

Very true. I'm not very crafty but what the heck lets go for it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I used a BrightSky hanging kit.

Similar thing to this but in full black.

This is what it looked like on my 10G:

I mean... I hated it, but it's upto you.

Doesn't look that bad to me. Like I said I'm not very crafty to begin with.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom