Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Would this light support Zoas? I know I've seen some at the LFS I'll have to go and do a picture comparison to get which species but they are really pretty.

Also, you salty gurus which reef kit do you use?


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
__________________

__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 1,175
I like how quickly this progressed from fowlr to reef haha
__________________

__________________
PassengerTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleyjk View Post
I like how quickly this progressed from fowlr to reef haha

Well I kinda did the same when I went planted lol I like a challenge. Hey at least I'm starting small this time!


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CCXGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
Would this light support Zoas? I know I've seen some at the LFS I'll have to go and do a picture comparison to get which species but they are really pretty.

Also, you salty gurus which reef kit do you use?


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

That light would support quite a range of LPS & SPS... Never mind Zoa's..

Zoa's would probably thrive in an unlit basement.


As far as testing goes, Salifert, Red Sea and Hannah Checkers are the most popular.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
CCXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 220
You can get the sands from PetSmart for 40 bucks 40 pounds.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Toffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffee View Post
You can get the sands from PetSmart for 40 bucks 40 pounds.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I don't need 40 pounds lol. I got a 15 pound bag of aragonite for like 19$


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:26 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCXGT View Post
That light would support quite a range of LPS & SPS... Never mind Zoa's..

Zoa's would probably thrive in an unlit basement.


As far as testing goes, Salifert, Red Sea and Hannah Checkers are the most popular.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's great to hear. I've heard from a trust LFS employee(who has a SW tank and a frag tank) that SPS can be a challenge.


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #108
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,248
SPS aren't that hard. There are some hard ones to keep, but many aren't that challenging.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:37 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
SPS aren't that hard. There are some hard ones to keep, but many aren't that challenging.

I think I'll start with LPS and go from there. I really like the Duncan's I need to pay a visit to the LFS and try to get a coral stock list for reference.


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:24 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
shellyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: scotland
Posts: 4,392
Hi 😊
Following along! I find SW really interesting but haven't been brave enough to take the plunge!
Lesley
55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.
__________________
70 gallon elephant nose tank, Gonzo the elephant nose and friends!
30gallon borara merah and brigittae green, red longfin bristlenose, shrimp, ninja, taiwan,bamboo, and snails. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
shellyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:30 PM   #111
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellyx View Post
Hi 😊
Following along! I find SW really interesting but haven't been brave enough to take the plunge!
Lesley
55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

You should do it with me XD


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #112
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
sinibotia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Central Maine
Posts: 3,916
Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
I've been following along but I'm disappointed; only going to attempt corals your first time? I was expecting moorish idols or something.
__________________
10 gallon reef
sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
shellyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: scotland
Posts: 4,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
You should do it with me XD


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
I'm definitely not ready for SW yet! But I'm finding it very interesting and can't wait to see your tank 😊

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.
__________________
70 gallon elephant nose tank, Gonzo the elephant nose and friends!
30gallon borara merah and brigittae green, red longfin bristlenose, shrimp, ninja, taiwan,bamboo, and snails. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
shellyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:41 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinibotia View Post
I've been following along but I'm disappointed; only going to attempt corals your first time? I was expecting moorish idols or something.

Lol no I'm starting easy. $40 corals are worth a lot more than a $5 bunch of plants.


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:00 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,269
If you ever go near Clarksville I can probably hook you up with some coral got cheap. Got a buddy with a nice selection too.
__________________
paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
If you ever go near Clarksville I can probably hook you up with some coral got cheap. Got a buddy with a nice selection too.

I'll have to look at the distance. If I had a good sized reef like yours is do bulk and make the trip worth it but a tank this size vs gas idk


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:40 PM   #117
Macro Addict
 
54seaweed's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
If you ever go near Clarksville I can probably hook you up with some coral got cheap. Got a buddy with a nice selection too.
Paul are you holding out on us ? I'm always looking for new sources and I'm not afraid of paying shipping as I like bulk as the 90g never seems to get full and I'm just a coral junkie
the shipment I received frozen the replacement shipment goes out mon ,
also have another order with another vendor ordered a 6 inch Welsophyllia
and a 5 inch fox coral , and a few lps frags to go in between all the zoo's coming this week too .
__________________
Save
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:00 AM   #118
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,966
I know I am jumping in late here, lol, but figured why not?

I used to run aquaclears on my smaller tanks and they did very well for me. I ran carbon every other month, the sponge that comes with it and chemipure elite. The chemioure is good for several months too but isnt rechargeable as far as I know. It has gfo in it which can help curb phosphates and in turn algae growth.

You seem to have a great start, you got a lot of great advice from the others.

For hanging my lights i used the store bought hang brackets from current, but they were $90! They do the job perfectly and since I can't figure out much diy it fit the bill for me.

A warning on those leds'. they are extremely extremely bright. I burned every single coral I had with them and never got the hang of them to be honest. lol I ended up going back to t5's on the one tank. If you do get corals just know to acclimate them to the light and start at like the lowest setting and work your way up. you most likely will never have them above 50% for each channel just so you know.

Good luck! I will continue to follow along.
__________________
180g- Mostly BIG fish and some coral. ~80g Nuvo- My coral tank with "happy fish"~ 90g- FOWLR Not the not happy type of fish~ 125g- Freshwater Malawi Cichlids ~10g- Nuvo- The refugees from the Ich of '18
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:28 AM   #119
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
I'll have to look at the distance. If I had a good sized reef like yours is do bulk and make the trip worth it but a tank this size vs gas idk


Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Yep you're right. Just throwing that out there. Not sure if you was the traveling type. I know I'm not.
__________________
paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:31 AM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
Paul are you holding out on us ? I'm always looking for new sources and I'm not afraid of paying shipping as I like bulk as the 90g never seems to get full and I'm just a coral junkie
the shipment I received frozen the replacement shipment goes out mon ,
also have another order with another vendor ordered a 6 inch Welsophyllia
and a 5 inch fox coral , and a few lps frags to go in between all the zoo's coming this week too .
Look up BAM Reptiles and Aquaria on Facebook in Clarksville TN. I deal with this guy ALOT.
__________________

__________________
paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
getting a taste of the salty side :) dragonfisher33 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 26 07-07-2013 11:03 AM
Getting tired of the salty side - all my stuff is sold malkore Midwest & the Dakotas 3 05-25-2006 10:33 AM
The Salty Cichlid Terry Cichlid Discussion 2 08-30-2003 05:18 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.