Can anybody tell me what this is and how to get rid of it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JVS__RAMBO

Aquarium Advice Regular
I loaded some pics as attachments hopefully it worked.:thanks:

Attachments

• DSC00321.jpg
    DSC00321.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC00323.jpg
    DSC00323.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC00324.jpg
    DSC00324.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC00325.jpg
    DSC00325.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 199
Or you can find out what`s fueling it and try to cut it off at the source. I`m just one of those that dont believe in buying livestock to take care of a problem.

melosu58 said:
Or you can find out what`s fueling it and try to cut it off at the source. I`m just one of those that dont believe in buying livestock to take care of a problem.

But surely this whole hobby is about perfecting a man made ecosystem! Doesn't that mean that livestock need to contribute or do they just sit at the top of the hierarchy? ... Well at least just below that god that lives above the water level and chucks food in every day! ;-)

I don't see how putting in a fish that loves hair algae would be a problem. It got it's name from "mowing" down hair algae.

The problem is that there's an underlying problem causing the algae. adding a fish will not change that underlying problem and can even exacerbate it. It's best to find the problem before using a living thing to fix your problem for you.

What happens when he's done eating it? I happen to have a blenny but i bought him for his personality and looks not just so he could keep my tank clean. i never had an algae issue really so I have to supplement the lawnmowers diet with algae sheets. Luckily he took to ALL food that I've fed so he's nice and fat now.

i guess the point is, buy a fish cause you like it, not to do a job that you should be doing. :-D

carey said:
What happens when he's done eating it? I happen to have a blenny but i bought him for his personality and looks not just so he could keep my tank clean. i never had an algae issue really so I have to supplement the lawnmowers diet with algae sheets. Luckily he took to ALL food that I've fed so he's nice and fat now.

i guess the point is, buy a fish cause you like it, not to do a job that you should be doing. :-D

So you don't keep snails and hermits then?! ;-)

LOL. You don't know my deal, hehehe, I LOVE snails and hermits. I get them to feed them. I put 20 naricsus snails in my cube and 40 in my 125g. purposely to watch them come up and feed. i don't have any algae snails, ech. they crawl on the glass too much.

I have maybe 20 hermits between those 2 tanks only cause I like to watch them climb. I have some really large hermits too, with goldball sized shells. LOL

:-D

I bought some snails, no hermits, I don't like them. I also bought a emerald crab. My alkalinity is low around 5. How do I get that higher to where it needs to be (8 to 12)?

carey said:
LOL. You don't know my deal, hehehe, I LOVE snails and hermits. I get them to feed them. I put 20 naricsus snails in my cube and 40 in my 125g. purposely to watch them come up and feed. i don't have any algae snails, ech. they crawl on the glass too much.

I have maybe 20 hermits between those 2 tanks only cause I like to watch them climb. I have some really large hermits too, with goldball sized shells. LOL

:-D

Then your just the girl to advise me on the best snails to clean up my sand bed! I got 2 ceriths about a month ago and haven't seen them since! By the looks of my sand they are either slacking or are brown bread. You think I should get more or try some narisus??? snails. 29g by the way

Get some mexican turbo snails, just make sure you have enough algae for them or once its gone so are they.

The narsariias snails stay under your sand and only come up when they sense food. They don't eat algae though. They do eat food and other stuff in your sandbed but not algae. :)

As a newbie to both this website and the saltwater hobby, I blush and feel a bit like I'm interrupting a family spat. But I couldn't help but hear my mother's voice in my head as I read this thread. She was saying "Now, now. Don't make me separate you!" I know I'm running the risk of sounding awfully annoying but you can always ignore my 2 cents whenever you like: so here 'tis: when hubby and I first started researching and receiving advice from online friends, websites, and also our LFS friendlies, I began realizing how much work it was going to take to create and maintain this water world in our home. I've never been a mostly lazy person, but nor have I been a particularly hard worker. so "playing god" wasn't exactly a thing I wanted to try. But now that we've begun, I can see both sides of the argument on this thread (since my mind is caught in the middle). I yearn to be in the neutral between both stances here...my 2cents = nothing wrong with purchasing stock that helps with the ecosystem of the tank AS LONG AS you take into consideration the care of the animal in this role also (i.e. after the problem is resolved, feed and care for him/her properly even when there is no existing problem for him/her to solve) And I would in addition do my job to look for the root cause in case it could still be a harmful situation to the stock. Sound too "nose up" for you? I welcome any responses as long as it is in good nature. I will not respond to out-right attacks.

mrsrookie said:
As a newbie to both this website and the saltwater hobby, I blush and feel a bit like I'm interrupting a family spat. But I couldn't help but hear my mother's voice in my head as I read this thread. She was saying "Now, now. Don't make me separate you!" I know I'm running the risk of sounding awfully annoying but you can always ignore my 2 cents whenever you like: so here 'tis: when hubby and I first started researching and receiving advice from online friends, websites, and also our LFS friendlies, I began realizing how much work it was going to take to create and maintain this water world in our home. I've never been a mostly lazy person, but nor have I been a particularly hard worker. so "playing god" wasn't exactly a thing I wanted to try. But now that we've begun, I can see both sides of the argument on this thread (since my mind is caught in the middle). I yearn to be in the neutral between both stances here...my 2cents = nothing wrong with purchasing stock that helps with the ecosystem of the tank AS LONG AS you take into consideration the care of the animal in this role also (i.e. after the problem is resolved, feed and care for him/her properly even when there is no existing problem for him/her to solve) And I would in addition do my job to look for the root cause in case it could still be a harmful situation to the stock. Sound too "nose up" for you? I welcome any responses as long as it is in good nature. I will not respond to out-right attacks.

Well here goes my outright attack..... I think your absolutely right! ;-) you sum it up nicely.

Back
Top Bottom