Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can coralline algae grow while a tank is cycling?

So i set up my tank and have had it running for about a week now, and i bought some rubble with coralline algae on it to add to the tank in hopes of getting it started, i also bought some purple up to help advance the growth. but it just occurred to me that it might die while cycling. So my question is, will all of my coralline algae die while my tank is cycling, or should it be fine so i can add purple up now?

Old 02-01-2017, 11:24 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It should be just fine. There is no need to use a product like purple up as it will cause issues when it throws your parameters out of whack and long term issues. Just cycle the tank and things will be just fine. The coraline will spread on its own.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Coraline takes months to grow usually. Some tanks grow it much faster than others. Purple up is junk, literal junk. I wouldn't use it. Just give it time, you'll be cursing coraline once it does start growing all over the glass
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thank you
Old 02-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
Macro Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Oh I remember always wanting it , bragging when I finally got it growing , now it just drives me nuts , constantly scrapping off the glass cleaning power heads , now I consider it to be like the plague ,
purple up is just a big waist of money , like said above all it will do is cause issues down the line ,
I wouldn't kill myself trying to get it to grow as it will come over time ,
now I keep a few urchin's to eat the coralline to keep it in check , it's nice at the beginning but gets old fast lol

Tags
algae, coral, coralline, cycling, line, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com