Can i convert to a sehorse tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Midnighttang

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm on vacation in Fl and my husband and I have been tossing around going salt water after seeing all the aquariums down here. We have a 27 gallon (not sure on the dimensions, but it's more square than long) that we're considering converting to a seahorse aquarium. At minimum, what do we need to have to convert it, equipment wise? Can an aquarium that size house seahorses and what tank mates can they have? How hard are those cute little buggers to keep alive?
We really need to stop visiting aquariums. It's just too expensive :)

You need silk plants or macro algae, base rock, sand, lights, heaters, filters, live food like brine shrimp, and chillers if necessary
No tankmates
You can have 20-30 dwarf Seahorses in that tank

You could do 1 seahorse (normal size) but would need minimal flow and many things for it to latch onto while feeding. Tank raised seahorses eat prepared foods and you would not need to hatch live. Obviously you would need proper filtration and lighting. You can place some corals in with seahorses and maybe some pipe fish. However the pipefish will require a pod population. A good resource for seahorse compatability is seahorse.org. They cover fish, inverts, and corals. Also- if looking for good tank raised ponies you should check out swseahorse.com. I have bought from them several times and had great success. Their tanks are kept immaculate and they have many different types and colors. All of their ponies eat piscine mysid as well.

Back
Top Bottom