can I get an anenome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlyG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello,
I started my 55 gallon tank just over 2 years ago. I have 75 pounds of live rock, 2 clown, 1 royal gramma and 1 yellow boxfish. The clowns are getting big and it looks like they are starting to mate. I want to get an anenmoe and was wondering if their is a certain kind I should start out with?
I have also recently installed (4) T5 lights with leds to simulate dawn/dusk. I plan to have the lights turn off about 10 hrs throughout the night. Is this ok if I get an anenmoe?

Thanks for your help!

The LED`s dont make a difference but your lighting needs to be a T5HO system. You have a tank older than a yr so I would say you are OK at that point but depending if you have enough intensity on your lighting you might be OK. A bubble tip anenome would be a good one if you meet the criteria.

All (4) T5's are 54 watts each, so that's running 216 watts. (2) bulbs are actinic and the other (2) are 12000k.

Mike,
I have been reading about bubble tips, someone also suggested that to me. How often should I feed it? I have been reading 1-2x per week. I feed my box fish mysis/brine, would that work for the anenome?

I personally when I had my anenome never fed it. IMO they get all they need from the water column and lighting. I finally got rid of it because my clowns ignored it and would not host with it.

Also with that lighting you should be OK with a bubble tip.

Some people feed them as often as 1-2x a week but this will cause them to grow very quicly and possibly split more frequently. I would suggest something like every week or ever every other.

In my experience you are right on the boarder of having enough light to keep them happy. Another tank i help on every now and again has a 4 bulb T5 and the same tank hight. They have a RBTA that has been kept long term but the anemone splits very frequitenly and i suspect because it is not getting enough light and is under stress because of it. There are now 4 or 5 RBTAs in the tank and they are stinging other coral and taking over.

If you want to keep one you need to make sure that you have a high spot in your rock close to the lights and make sure you keep up on changing your bulbs since they will dim when they get old.

what are RBTAs? I am not sure what you mean by splitting? I think I need to do more research.
I have true percula clowns, so I am thinking the bubble would be a good starter anenome

thanks for all your suggestions! keep them coming!

RBTA is an acronym for Rose Bubble Tipped Anemone

Splitting is just what it sounds like, happy anemones will split where 1 becomes 2

RBTA is a red bubble tip anemone. I have a GBTA and I feed it once a week. It seems to be doing great that way. Mine split about a month ago. Splitting means it turns into 2 anemones. They are pretty neat to have around. IMO

gotch ya! OMG I want to get one tonight! I am so excited, I had no idea they could muliply! I am such a newb...can u tell!

They are pretty cool to have around. I have a mated pair of GS maroons and they love it.

wow Sean...I like your set-up. just looked at your pics, really nice! what kind of lighting system do you have going on there? it looks like it is a foot higher than the tank?

And even though yes there are many that have had good luck with their anenome`s and clown fish hosting there are alot that were disappointed because their`s would not. There is no guarantee.

Thank you. I have the current sunpod 1163. It has 2 250w 14k MH's in it. Yea it sits a little high but it is working well for the tank. Also like Mike said there is no guarantee on the clowns hosting the Nem.

thanks guys for your help! one more question...how the heck do you guys keep your tanks so clean? I have so much pink algae, I can't make out the background pic anymore!

Mike....I saw your 125 gal tank, that is incredible!!! now, I want a larger tank!!! looks like you have been doing this a lot longer than I have!

that algae is good to have. The way i keep mine clean of coralline is my urchin, he eats it all. But I may get rid of him to get that good purple look back in my tank.

Here is a newer pic of my tank. Notice how things are less purple then before.

Attachments

• new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 72
hmmm...I'll take your clean tank over my purple one! I'll buy your urchin!

Back
Top Bottom