Can I put a Blue Devil Damsel in my passive tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

litebrite

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a blue devil in a tank I wan't to drain and put away. My reef tank has fire fish, chromis, a clown, gobies, cleaner shrimps. I will get more tiny passive fish. But I have this blue devil in a tank that I would like to keep if I can but don't want it to attack other fish. At 1 inch long its passive now. Should I give it back to the fish store or put it in my reef community tank with the other fish? Once the blue devil goes in, it will never come out with all my live rock. What do you think I should do? Thanks.

my blue devil damsel is nice and mellow it was a little territorial at 1st but now gets along great with the other fish. I think added last it will not be a problem .

Usually while very young they will be more passive. The problem with damsels is that with age they get pretty mean. I know that not all will follow this pattern as I have a damsel that is over ten yrs old but there have been several that had to go because they could not adjust. If you do have to get him out here is a good article.

Get Out of My Tank! Fish Removal Tips & Tricks by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

It's called a 'devil' for a reason. As Mike said, they are not ALL that territorial. It's a flip of a coin as to whether or not yours develops a mean streak or not. Keep that Steven Pro article handy :p

I agree, my blue devil was the beast of the tank, until I added a gold stripe maroon. I think adding him last may help, but I kind of have a feeling the firefish might get a little jumpy. Hopefully not. I would trade him to your LFS for credit.

Back
Top Bottom