Can I really do this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cherry Barb

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, technically I'm a FW nut. But, I've been scanning the SW forums for awhile now because I love damsels and clownfish. And I think I must be crazy, so let me ask this...

Can I set up a 10 or 20 gal SW tank with fish only? I think I was under the impression SW tanks have to be really big.

If I can set one up say, 30 gal or less, is it the same kind of set up as a FW (obviously I've seen lots of differences in the big tanks, but what about for smaller ones?) I've still got ALOT of research to do, but if I can get this basic down, I am gonna be so excited! :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance guys!

the smaller the tank the smaller the margin for error. this said, i think if you are meticulous and attentive, and do your homework, which it looks like you are, you should be able to go ahead. just plan out your tank with the help of the advisors with the best choices for equiptment and GO SLOW! good luck!

Can I set up a 10 or 20 gal SW tank with fish only?

Sure, Remember your going to be rather limited to your fish count. But yes you can do a small sw tank if you keep up with the daily maintance items like checking temperature and topping off evaporated water with fresh water. On small tanks the salinity will flux from day to day because of evaporation so its good to top off the tanks daily to help maintain a consistant salinity level.

You might want to reconsiter a damsel in such a small tank as they can become overly agressive toward other tankmates.

Thanks guys, I've got a lot more reading & research to do, so I'm sure I'll have more questions! When I get ready to start SW, I'll let you know!

Just from my own experience, my 10 gallon tank was a breeze! A year later, it's still had not a single problem and flourishes with small sponges. I do water changes about once every 2 weeks or once a month depending on the evaporation/water level. I used to test weekly but that ended 4 months into the tank when it was obvious how stable the tank is - now I test probably once a month...

The key to a VERY stable small tank (IMHO), is to really load it up with live rock and control the light as much as possible. I bought as many small rock frags as I could and just kept adding till I got to a level I was happy with. I only keep one fish in it (to keep the biocycle going) and use it primarily as a hospital tank when/if it's needed.

OTOH, I also have a 29 gallon tank that has been nothing but problematic.

I say: Go for it! In the end, the 10 gallon will teach you a LOT and if it does crash, it's a whole lot easier to take then a 30/50/100 gallon tank loss. :wink:

It got you too, huh, Cherry...

Oh yeah, in a BIG way!

I've been looking at a 55 gallon I want for Christmas and I may seriously set it up as a SW tank. Just the idea makes me giddy! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom