Can I use freshwater food to cycle marine aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

I have some outdoor pond fish food, could I use this to get some ammonia in the tank to start the cycle?

Technically, yes.
A single cocktail shrimp would work too, and you wouldn't have to remember to feed the empty tank everyday.

OK. Once I get the testkit I will start that. Better than getting an aggressive damsel.

I have another question, after it is cycled and stablized, do I need to re-test the water every day after the cycle? Or is once a week or so good?

generaly, I would suggest you continue to test each day for a couple days after the cycle has ended, just to be sure, then once a week from there on until you're done adding "stuff" to your tank and you're comfortable things are stable. Any time you make a change to your tank, adding rock, fish, pumps, filters etc, I suggest increasing your testing frequency again to be sure the change does not have adverse effects on your system.

also, I'm only mentioning this because Malkore used the term "cocktail shrimp" this NOT what you want in a literal sense (shame on you malkore! :wink: ) as cocktail shrimp are cooked and may have additives, you want a fresh uncooked (preferably unfrozen) shrimp.

OK. Do I need to add more food after the old food has dissolved?

If so, how many pellets to add each day?

Back
Top Bottom