Can u make tap water safe for salt water mix to iuse in tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jj49er

Aquarium Advice Regular
Read that if u dechlorinate tap water you can use it for your salt mix to make sea water. Is this true can I use water conditioners that remove chlorine from water then mix with my salt and then add to tank? Or do I have to use the RO water to mix salt?

You absolutely need to use RO OR RODI. RODI being the optimum. The prime takes chlorine out but not all the crao that contributes to phosphates and nitrates.

You can definitely use dechlorinated tap water, but depending on the quality of the water out of your tap, you may see algae issues. You might be OK for a fish only or FOWLR tank since they typically don't have real intense lighting but I would highy recommend an RO/DI unit if you plan on a reef tank. You can get a nice RO/DI filter for around $100.

Well thanx and how does the unit work well I know I plan on starting fish n live rock first simply because the cost of lighting for reef but RO unit how does that work?

if you live in the US, you can contact your local water provider and ask for a water quality report, this will show exactly what your water chemistry is. They are required to have this.

Ok what do I look for other than the chlorine

Check out bulk reef supply, they sell a lot of ro and ro/di units, very happy with mine. Peace of mind knowing the water is good quality and no trips to the fish store for water, which for me ment water and an impulse coral purchase

Look at the total dissolved solids (TDS). Also phosphates and nitrates of course. Hopefully they will have a detailed breakdown. Some things are good ( magnesium for example) and others are bad (copper). If you can get the report you can then ask detailed questions.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom