Candy cane coral look ok? New to coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

000trick000

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428094701.560016.jpgas I said I am new to coral and I put this candy cane I. My tank 3 weeks ago and I'm just wondering if it looks the way it should. I feed it 2 times a week it's feeders come out every night. The head during the day seems really full, my only concern is that it looks just a lil dark. Your thoughts? Thanks for all the input. Oh yea all of my water parameters are all in check

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They look great and are inflating well. Color looks ok as well. The only thing I would change would be not to feed them. They can be fully supported by your lighting...I don't recall your exact setup but seem to remember it being a'ok for a lower light LPS coral like this. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by a moderator:
They look great and are inflating well. Color looks ok as well. The only thing I would change would be not to feed them. They can be fully supported by your lighting...I don't recall you exact setup but seem to remember it being a'ok for a lower light LPS coral like this. Keep up the good work.

Cool thanks SH, It is in a 5 gal pico. I really don't want to feed them at all anyways so that's good news! Just tested my parameter and just as I thought everything looks good. Ammonia 0, trites 0, trates 2.0, dkh 9.4, ph 8.1, salinity 1024. I'm always afraid with this lil buddy tank that I'm going to nuke it by over feeding.

Also if my parameters look like this do I need to do a water change, it's been almost 2 weeks

Well, a 50% water change would take your nitrates to 1. But this is only thinking about the water changes replenishing essential elements as well...but I'm sure things would be fine if you wanted to wait another week. Just don't let things get out of control. I wouldn't want to do water changes monthly very often.

Well iv been doing 10% every week then I've been reading that some of my corals prefer a lil bit dirtier conditions so I let it go a week longer to see what happens

Ok it would be a bit safer to continue with the 10% a week then. Thanks a lot!!!

Ok it would be a bit safer to continue with the 10% a week then. Thanks a lot!!!

wish my candy canes puffed up that much but mine are still babys

10% weekly WC will be fine will help keep things happy(y)

Candy canes actually love a little phosphate, and feed then once or twice a week. Then watch then grow crazy.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom