Canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LOD

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do anybody use canister filters on the salt water tanks ? And if you do what would you suggest on a 65 gallon tank?

yes they do, but i would suggest cleaning the filter fairly regularly. the build up of uneaten food and fish poop in the filter will be a source of nitrate in the tank.
many folks have gravitated to the protein skimmer as a source of mechanical filtration over the canister filter.
i can't recommend a filter for you because i don't use them.

So would the amount of nitrate be an indication of when it needs to be cleaned? My nitrates stay very stable at below 5. I am just wondering if I would start to see that increasing as the canester starts to need a good cleaning.

if you were thinking reef with inverts, i would probably want to clean it out weekly. i would not want to wait until i saw the nitrates, and use that as a gauge. if it's just a fish tank, i wouldn't worry as much, but still, low nitrate levels aren't ever going to hurt.

I hear you. Cleaned mine out about 3 weeks ago. I went two weeks without a PWC and nitrates were right at 5. Did the PWC last Sunday and just ran my tests and Nitrate is at about 2. By the way, I took your advice and ditched the glass top. Hope the paracube lens keeps all my jumpers in. :)

I know i'm a little late to this, BUT! on my 60 Gallon reef tank i use a fluval xf5, which is rated up to 400 gallons. It does an amazing job on it. I've had it running for about a year now and i have 0 complaints. Amazon has it on sale for like 50 percent off or so, it was definitely a no brainer.

Back
Top Bottom