Canister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solo

Aquarium Advice Activist
HI any opinions on canister filters. Can you use them for a reef tank without protein skimmer will it cause nitrate problems, does it need to be cleaned weekly canister. Any opinion would be greatly appreciated

solo said:
HI any opinions on canister filters. Can you use them for a reef tank without protein skimmer will it cause nitrate problems, does it need to be cleaned weekly canister. Any opinion would be greatly appreciated

Canisters can be used in a reef. It probably takes a little more effort than a sump, though. I use a Fluval 406 on my 55g reef, but I also run an aqua c remora a skimmer. I have a corner tank and a sump won't fit. I clean it very well every week with PWCs and change out sponges-alternating-regularly. If this is not done, it will cause a problem with nitrates. It takes about 10 min or so to rinse all the sponges and media well, replace sponges, empty water out of canister and scrub canister out. Then put it back together and prime. When I first started, it took a little longer, but I've gotten quicker at it. :) the canister needs to be rated for about twice the size of your tank, though. And for a reef over 40g, I'd run a skimmer.

how are your trates? i have been beating my brains out trying to figure out fuge/sump for my 55g corner .

Last edited by a moderator:
Spicemonkey said:
how r ur trates? i have been beating my brains out trying to figure out fuge/sump for my 55g corner bf

My Trates are usually about 5-10. I know I probably over feed :), but I think my skimmer saves me. :)

My trates are in the safe range in my 12g nano but of course I aspire to bring em down to near 0, not proving to be an easy task

In my tank all is good and stable except those pesky trates grrrr even still they are acceptable just not elimeinated

Back
Top Bottom