Canister Filtration or Sump????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Which one is better? Are sumps hard to build or do you purchase them? What keeps your water cleaner?

I'd say go w/ a sump, less time on maintenance and a place to store your stuff out of sight. It also lets you hide your skimmer

nikki_kaiser said:
Which one is better? Are sumps hard to build or do you purchase them? What keeps your water cleaner?

Sump. The are not hard to build at all. Simply need a tank, a few precut pieces of glass or acrylic and some aquarium safe silicon.

As for water being cleaner. Well sumps are most often incorporated with a skimmer. Also sumps add a significant volume of water to the overall system making it cleaner and easier to maintain.

Where do you get the cut glass from? Is there a set way of doing it? I've never done it so I am completely ignorant of all the things I need.

Glass can be purchased at hardware store. You have to get good measurements. Building ideas you can find on the forum

nikki_kaiser said:
Where do you get the cut glass from? Is there a set way of doing it? I've never done it so I am completely ignorant of all the things I need.

1. You can get glass from hardware store , homedepot or lowes. They should cut the glass for you as well. Just bring in the measurements.

2. Every sump is made per tank. It's all on your equipment and your preferences.

If you go on YouTube and type DIY sumps you can get a basic idea on how their built. Fairly simple.
Good luck on your build.

Back
Top Bottom