Can't seem to get calcium up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nwsharksfan

Aquarium Advice Activist
My water was consistently reading 280 mg/L Ca (even after water changes). I started adding a two part calcium and buffer daily about a week and a half ago. My water tests today:

Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Salinity: 1.025
Ca: 360
PH: 8.4
KH: 13
Phosphate: <.25 (didn't realize API phosphate test was so useless)

I was a bit alarmed about how high KH and PH are. PH was originally 7.8 before I started adding and KH was 8. Only other thing I've done to the tank is add a phosban reactor.

I have been doing water changes (10%) about once a week using RODI water. I'm using the regular instant ocean sea salt.

I'm assuming the Ca and buffer I'm adding is leading to the increased PH and KH. How do I increase Ca without messing with KH and PH? And why aren't water changes helping increase Ca more?

The tank: 55 gal reef w/live rock. 1 toadstool, 1 Duncan, 1 ricordea, 1 clove coral, 1 xenia (came off plug and is likely decaying in the filter somewhere), 1 percula clown and 1 bicolor blenny. About 2 months old.

And just to throw in one more thing - I have a small cyanobacteria growth in one part of the tank. I am on day two of no lights. Wanted to make sure that three days without light won't cause irreparable harm to the corals I have.

Thanks.

Not being able to maintain Ca is often associated with low Mg.
Do you have a Mg test?
Can you get your Mg tested?

Add more flow to area with cyanno IMO and try to get some trates in tank!

0 trates (or even low trates) are often associated with cyanno(besides the flow thing).

It never crossed my mind to test for Mg. Guess I'll need to get another test kit. You're the only person that I've come across that said nitrates in a reef tank is a good thing. Though 0 to trace amounts of nitrate were ideal. I did forget to mention that I've been adding a manganese and iron supplement sporadically for the macroalgae in the tank. I understand Mg and Maganese are not the same thing. Just throwing it out there since I forgot to mention it in the original post.

Is keeping the lights off the wrong approach for the cyano? Makes me a little apprehensive when my coral puckers up.

Finally procured a Mg test. You guys were right. My magnesium was at 900. Adding Tech M to bring it up and will switch to reef crystals once my current bucket of salt is depleted.

KH of 13 needs around 450ppm of calcium to be in balance.

Aim for your mag to be around 1350

This is what I run my system at and have good growth an colouration.

img_3304011_0_16a6611b3c8780855e77ddfc1892514c.png

Finally procured a Mg test. You guys were right. My magnesium was at 900. Adding Tech M to bring it up and will switch to reef crystals once my current bucket of salt is depleted.

Glad you think you have worked this out!:dance:
Keep us informed...(y)

Back
Top Bottom