Can't seem to lower Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigNEMO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Nitrites are at .2 and my Nitrates are around 10. I just can't seem to lower them. What are my options??

Thanks!

Hmmm - High Nitrites, is the tank fully cycled?

What type of bio filtering are you using, what size tank?

What type of tank (FO, FOWLR, Reef)?

Have you added anything recently?

Have you changed any filter media recently?

It's not common for a tank to get a Nitrite spike (nitrates, yes). This does seem to indicate something is amiss.

Short term - I definitely agree with Hara - water changes, but even here you have to be careful if things are still cycling.

Tom

The tank has been cycled since August. Please see my Profile for all the information.

I added the Hippo Tank about 2 weeks ago after a QT. All fish are doing well. I do have 2 corals that are dying. One is a Torch that lost 2 of the 3 branches. It fell off its spot. I have since glued it down. The other one is the Clavularia that fell off the live rock upside down and for 1 week has not opened up. I don't know if its dead or sick.

1. Will Corals dying spike NO2 & NO3??
2. Will High NO2 & NO3 prevent corals from opening?

Thanks

if the corals are LARGE, then if they are rotting in the tank it can cause an ammonia spike that will then also spike the NO2 and NO3, but they would have to be fairly large corals I would imagine. Poor water quality will certainly keep your corals from opening up.

have you made any recent changes or additions to the tank besides the Hippo? I would certainly do a hefty water change as Hara suggested to relieve the fish some, but you'll still need to find the source...

Back
Top Bottom