Can't set up my 200g tank :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
A month or so back I finally found an structurial engineer to come look at my house. He was charging $80 and hour and said if the main support couldn't hold the weight we'd discuss other option to reinforce it such as using floor jacks or even replacing main support beams. After several weeks of leaving messages and him not calling back I finally got a hold of him and he gave me the bad news.

He said it's just not worth the liability issues of giving me a letter of approval to set up the tank on my second floor. I don't even think he put the info in his computer program like he said so we didn't even discuss optional methods strengthing supports in the house.

I guess I really could set it up in my basement but there's never really a reson for me or anybody else to be down there and I'm afraid I'll only ever see it when I'm doing water changes or feeding. I finally have all the money to do this project, I have the tank, built the stand, ordered a ER8-3 w/ new beta pump this week, I have the additional lighting etc.... I really don't want to scrap the project becasue I'm really not happy w/ my 110 and how it's setup and the overall shape of it.

What should I do?

Drive it to my house and I'll set it up in my basement family room. I'll send you weekly pics :)

What about a second opinion.... From the sound of it that guy did not do his job, but I'm sure he cashed that check already.

What about a second opinion....

I'll second that!

Otherwise, is there now way you'd fix the basement up - with the requisite HDTV, stereo, lazy boy and etc?

When I remodelled my basement and included the tank in my plans. It was great. Now, I'm in the basement more, don't watch TV in the bed any more, and pretty much keep myself occupied down there now. Healthier for me, and keeps the trafiic - and wtaer spill boo boos out of the upstairs.

i feel your pain. I just refinished my basement and bought my 327 Gallon. It is sitting on the inwall stand because i ran out of cash.:(

I love my tank in my basement! When I move it will be on the main floor but only because the basement is not finished.

Otherwise, get a second opinion for sure.

Well luckily he didn't wind up charging me anything....guess he never just felt like finishing the work.

We were thinking of finishing the basement.. I could move the 36" tv and sofa in my bedroom to the basement I guess.....

Darin, 327g, sounds awesome!!!!!

formanbob said:
Send me some images and info, let me see what I can do.... I work at an engineering company.

See! Now THIS is what makes the internet so great!

Man, what would we do without it?

formanbob said:
Send me some images and info, let me see what I can do.... I work at an engineering company.

That's great!!! I'll mearuse again and let you know the exact details!!

I just can't find anyone in my area that is interested in doing it...I don't really even know who to call.

Back
Top Bottom