Carey's 40b Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vortex might be a better skimmer, I havent used one. BUT if you want a decent one for a good price the eshopps is nice. If you had more room the reef octopus ones are good too, but they, from my experience take up more room in the sump than you have.
Might get away with a spacesaver version but youre looking at double the price pretty much.

I'm really glad to hear that the orbit is working out for you! When I upgrade it's gonna be the light I use, and my Tao panel will go into the frag tank.

I think the orbit is doing well is because of the depth of the 40. ANy deeper and I think it would have issues punching down to the sandbed.
I'm watching and checking every coral every day so I can tell if and when the lights prove themselves. :)

It's not that easy. First you have to figure out the correct usable radiation for each coral and then you can figure out what to throw at it. It's mostly different intensities of the blue spectrum though IMO.

Wouldnt a regular ole par meter be good enough to test the lighting? Might not be the best and most exact but it should give a good reading to go off from shouldnt it?

Ok so I ordered the reef octopus , I have now the eshopps 300 sump. For some reason I feel like the proflex is better then the eshopps . Are they pretty much the same ?? And I'm just over thinking. Lol

If the sump holds water and has enough room for everything then you done good. :)

The proflex is kinda small on space inside so the eshopps sump is a good deal. I used the eshopps rs200 for a couple years and found it to be perfect for my needs.

If the sump holds water and has enough room for everything then you done good. :)

The proflex is kinda small on space inside so the eshopps sump is a good deal. I used the eshopps rs200 for a couple years and found it to be perfect for my needs.

What tank was the eshopps on?

I had the eshopps sump, the refugium model, on my 125g. It was a pain to find a skimemr to fit, but the eshopps 150 one fit right in. I later stopped using the refugium section and put a reef octopus skimmer in the middle section. :)

I really liked the 125g, it took a few years bit I was very fond of the result. On a good note though, I got $800 for it and the new 180g setup was only $500 so I actually made out on the upgrade. :-D

Well, looks like the 40g is coming along, getting my usual first appearance of red slime. :-( Happens in every single tank I start it seems. Will dose some chemiclean in a few days if it doesnt subside. All parameters are at 0 so not quite sure where the excess nutrients are coming from. Probably a false negative I guess lol.

The new baby clowns are adorable! I love just watching them clown around. lol
The green sinularia that Mr x gave me is doing really well now too. It was kinda touch and go for a few days but they are open wide and look great.
I wont be adding any fish this week I don't think, just addd the clowns last week so wanna let the tank settle for a bit before adding new stock.
Not sure what the next fish will be.....Looking at another citron goby, some clown gobies and maybe a small handful of chromis to give the tank some movement.

I have some of that green singularia from mr. X as well, strange to think that different pieces of the same organism can exist hundreds of miles apart

Back
Top Bottom