Carey's 40b Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BRS has diamond bits and they tell you exactly what size you need for each size bulkhead. Why drill for the return? I would come over the top with that and skip the 2nd hole.

I didnt see any weirs on the site, but maybe I didnt look hard enough.

I was hoping to have a very clean looking tank which was why I was thinking of drilling for the return too.

And yep, been up allnight doing lfr in wow. i have 8 level 90's now. LOL

I will check into the BRS site and see what I come up with.

Thanks everyone! I know I will have a zillion questions as I go through this new build. You think you know most stuff and them bam its like you know nothing all over again. LOL A new build I guess means a new learning experience too. Might be what I like the best about doing a new setup.

I would say after.due to possible peeling of the paint while drilling.

Congrats on your new tank. There's nothing like the feeling of setting up a larger tank than you had before...

I didnt see any weirs on the site, but maybe I didnt look hard enough.

I was hoping to have a very clean looking tank which was why I was thinking of drilling for the return too.

And yep, been up allnight doing lfr in wow. i have 8 level 90's now. LOL

I will check into the BRS site and see what I come up with.

Thanks everyone! I know I will have a zillion questions as I go through this new build. You think you know most stuff and them bam its like you know nothing all over again. LOL A new build I guess means a new learning experience too. Might be what I like the best about doing a new setup.

I should just pay you in fish to level up one of my toons. :whistle:

Well in theory, this is an upgrade. lol I went from the 29g cube to the 40b. :)

I'm not sure what a bean animal setup is, I want something very easy to setup, nothing fancy. lol

I'm still waiting to hear back from some of the guys from the local reef club about drilling it. They all want to know if its tempered glass though and there is no tag to tell me. Isnt only the bottom pane tempered on the new aqueons?

Jeebus! Drill it yourself! it's super easy. What is the worst that can happen? 60-70 bucks out the window?

So says you mr man.....I may be pretty good at alot of stuff but I think I know my limitations. lol

X, what would you do for drilling the holes size wise? 1.5 or 1 inch?
Thanks

1.5" drain- it will be quieter since you don't have to max it out. A 1" drain sounds like the suction thing at the dentists office when maxed.
The return I would probably do 1", and split it into two 1/2" locline.

Awesome X, thanks so much!

I was in that neighborhood but dint even think of splitting the return like that. i think i will do that. lol

thanks again

Hi Carey,

Exciting new build!! Keep us posted

Just a couple of thoughts.

Water weighs 8.3 pounds so 40g is about 334 pounds or 152kg so as it's the bigger wheel type you have mentioned it should be good to go but I would consider what type of surface you at putting it on i.e. Carpet or solid flat surface? If it's on a deep pile carpet you might have a stability issues.

Andi

Thanks Andi. :)

The tank will be on a hard wood floor over cement. And against a wall too so it should be fine. it will go in the spot my biocube used to occupy.

I'm getting really antsy, I want to get the tank drilled and start already. lol

Back
Top Bottom