Carey's 40b Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One method is drilling a 1/4 inch hole in the top of the 90 degree elbow and insert some tubing airline works but I prefer the more rigid poly tubing such as the type used on rodi units, you would work the tubing in and out until you find the "sweet spot" where the tubing allows air pocket that is trapped trying to rise back up the main pipe to escape out the 1/4 inch tube, I've used similar methods before with fair results, I'd say it helps minimize but probably not eliminate the gurgling, hope this helps and hope my description comes across ok

If I do that and drill the hole, water wont come out of it? Maybe a silly question but I dont get how the water wouldnt shoot out. lol

Good and bad news. :-(

The trick with drilling the hole worked, using a piece of ro tubing sticking out of the pipe. Should I silicone the tube in so it doesnt fall out?

The bad bad news is twitchy is no longer with us. :-( Just fed some pellets and he didnt come out so i was immediately worried as he usually doesnt miss a meal. He must have died recently, king crab had only just begun to work on him and no other inverts were there yet.
Twitchy was my first tang, a very bright yellow color and pretty nice compared to the other two. I believe i got him 4 years ago, he wasnt too small when I got him but he got pretty large and fat.

Is it normal for fish to only last a few years? I see tons of posts with people who have had their fish for 10 years or more....This was my second oldest fish too, next to the pink spotted goby. Ay thoughts anyone? on life expectancy etc.....

****, I am falling alot short then. :-( What else can i do though? I take as good care of them as I can.....

First, I'm sorry for your loss it's always sad when we lose a friend.
Second I'm glad the tube trick worked, the ones I've done have a pretty tight seal and have never leaked do I've never glued or siliconed them

That means alot X. My tangs were probably what got me so crazy into saltwater. I will miss my tang gang....

On a lighter note, I suppose now would be the time to add any tangs I was going to add? Only now I have another slot open. Twitchy was the one who went on a hunger strike when I introduced the nasos so we wont have that issue again, hopefully.

If my friend Sue rehomes her tangs I guess i will take the desjardini and the bristletooth. If she has changed her mind I definitely want another yellow tang but the other one I'm torn.
Would love a naso or maybe even an atlantic blue tang, if introduced with the yellow they may not have any issues.

I'm really sorry Carey! And like Doug said, You take great care of your fish, and I am sure we would all entrust you with out tanks (I certainly would).

I just lost my Cleaner Shrimp the other day, so I am reacquainted with the feeling of a loss.

I am so happy things are still coming along with the 40g though. :) It definitely gives you something to look forward to!

Sorry about the cleaner, I miss having them, they are so cool and and active. :) Just wait for your tank to mature a bit more and I bet you can try another one and have him last longer.

So todays update is: Base rock arrived from amazon. Its actually nice looking rock, good amount of medium sized pieces and it was only $60 for 40lbs!!!
I'm hoping to use it between the 40b and the 90g. The 40b looks pretty good now but I'm guessing more rock wouldnt hurt. lol
Tomorrow is the day for the dr tims stuff and the dr tims ammonia to arrive. :) I will add it as soon as it arrives so we shall see how it works.
Working on a sandstorm in my tank for now, the 40b has a huge sand dune in the back. lol Its not the vortech I dont think, it must be the return. I am running a huge amount of water through it so I guess i will have to find the happy spot. lol

Added more base rock and do not like it at all. :-( Looks too cluttered now.

Can you remove some and build one side up? Could use more space between the rocks.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, believe it or not amazon.com had the rock in their used or returns section, the warehouse deals I think it is. It was repackaged rock, but I figured, its rock, how damaged could it be? lol I mean like I care if the outside box is different than it should be. The cheapest base rock I have found is usually like $2.39 a lb so this was very cool. :) I almost wish I needed more of it.

Here are some photos, been up all night so got some good shots, like the urchin picture below. Makes me wonder what goes on in the tanks late at night when I'm not up. lol
ANd a shot of the 40b, cleared up nicely and has super great surface movement, it shimmers:)

Back
Top Bottom