Carey's 40b Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Forces have aligned in my world of fish! I sold the biocube last night and found a brand new never used 40b tank and stand on craigslist right after the guy left with the biocube. LOL It's karma I tell ya :)

Here is the new setup, currently in the garage until i move it in.

First, the easy questions.
The stand is wider where the tank sits, versus being flush with the edge of the tank. Is this going to cause any issues as to weight? Will it be stable?
And the second question, it is also on wheels, the stand that is. Never had this issue so not sure if it will be a problem. What do you guys think?

I plan on drilling the tank but I wont start those questions until I get the two above answered definitively.

Thanks! Excited to have another build to work on!

What kind of wheels are they Carey? If they are wide rollers, you will be fine. I'd worry about narrow ones breaking under the weight...but my 55 is on the wide rollers with no issues.

i think the wheels are pretty wide. lol They are about 2 inches or so wide.

SO if thats gonna be ok what about the tank hanging over the edges?

There is about 5 inches on each side that the stand extends past the "base" of the stand. It is supoorted of course but still, the top part is alot bigger than the bottom part.

My thought would be cushioning it and help spread the weight evenly was what I was informed back in my early freshwater days...but you would see people using towels more commonly.

Following the latest adventure ! :) You are as bad as I am. Still getting my 240 going and I'm already looking at trying to find a 60g cube for the bedroom (want a reef).

OK. So a trip to Lowes is in order. Just down the street so thats like nothing. lol

I would want the layer of insulation cut to the exact measurement of the tank right? No hanging over or pretty much is it supposed to be so exact you dont even see it?

I've got and am still having all sorts of ideas for this build. Cant wait to get it started.

I would want the layer of insulation cut to the exact measurement of the tank right? No hanging over or pretty much is it supposed to be so exact you dont even see it?

They sell the styrofoam panels in 4'x8' sections like plywood. They may have smaller panels also (2'x4' maybe). Either way you can cut it to the exact size you need. I would probably just place the larger styrofoam panel on the stand, add the tank and then trim off the excess.

To trim and cut styrofoam, use a utility knife to scour one side of it. Then snap it off. Don't use any power saws or you'll be asking for a huge mess. Super easy to do.

Thanks Rick, I appreciate the tips. Just waiting for lowes to open, its 2 am here and I am just swapping between raiding in WOW and the internet. lol
I'm sure I;ve seen those panels too so I know just where to go. I am on the lookout for a local reef club member to drill the tank for me. I posted in our forum and have 2 people already that might be able to do it.
SOOO now that stability has been addressed, what size holes should I be drilling?
I was thinking a 1.5 inch hole for the 1 inch bulkhead for the inflow and a 1 inch hole for a 3/4 inch bulkhead for the return.

This is what I gather from glass-holes.com. Though I think I can borrow or get someone to use their own drillsaw thingees I don;t know what my options are as far as the black plastic overflow thing, but the one at that website I was on above doesn have teeth on their small overflows....
Need some guidance here please lol

Oh that's right. I forgot you're playing Wow. I bought Panda, but could never get myself to level to 90. I just couldn't take the grind anymore. I do miss raiding with friends though.

As for the holes, I believe that 1" bulkheads require 1 3/4" hole saw if you're using the ABS bulkheads. The Sched 80 require a bit bigger hole saw. The 3/4" ABS bulkheads need 1 3/8" hole saw. (can also use 1.5" I think). It really depends on the OD of the bulkhead.

I thought glass holes had acrylic weirs (with teeth) that you could purchase from them?

Back
Top Bottom