Carey's 60g Rimless Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds good!

That was great planning of leaving the tank 80% full to allow for displacement. I think I may have forgot about that and filled that take all the way up!

I also think that the tank is eye catching, I have never seen one before!

carey said:
Finally the tank and stand are in place in the living area. It "just" fit between the sliding doors and the windows. lol

Gonna leave the light fixture off the mounts for now so I can add the sand, water and rock and have room to work. :)

Here is where it will be sitting, the biocube thats to the right will hopefully get sold soon as I get the critters moved to this tank.

i like the tank! It looks really clean, and so does the one next to it! Lol if i had as many tanks as you they would all probably look messy. Great job!

carey said:
Finally the tank and stand are in place in the living area. It "just" fit between the sliding doors and the windows. lol

Gonna leave the light fixture off the mounts for now so I can add the sand, water and rock and have room to work. :)

Here is where it will be sitting, the biocube thats to the right will hopefully get sold soon as I get the critters moved to this tank.

Oh my carey!! First thing i saw when you posted this pic was the biocube with the lid open and one of your B&W clowns in there!! Shut the lid! No more carpet surfers! Lol

That being said, cool tank! It is cool and taller, and i like the look. Very nice so far!:D :fish1:

Thanks Gboy! lol If you look closely you can see the reflection of the 90g, and the 20g in the tank glass too! LOL

Bad news for today, I have a leak. Actually I have 2 leaks, each bulkhead is leaking a bit so I am waiting for the overflow section to empty and I will have to redo the pipes. :-( Major pain. I'm still hoping to get the rest of the rock in today so guess we'll see.

The viewing angles on this tank are awesome by the way, you can see the whole tank from pretty much any angle so the rock work will have to be really great to take advantage of that. And the low iron glass is nice too, the water is clear and has no "glass green" color when viewing. I really wanna hook the lights back up so I can see it all together but the b/f thinks we should wait til it's full of rock and water. hehe....

So had to make a run to the not so local LFS for another gasket for the bulkhead. Got it and the plumbing looks to be holding for now. Left it over night and no leaks so it may be ready to fire up today. Just need like 6 gallons of water for the sump and i ran out last night so I am making water now. :)

Here is the rock that I have in the tank so far, hoping to add the live rock today as well and start rockscaping. I'm still not sure if i will order some pukani and some tonga from BRS in the upcoming group buy, I really want to get some height to the rock this time around without stacking against the glass. LOL

img_1900620_0_d117d7ca1add7e2378622e4ced3b2867.jpg

Got the plumbing flowing and no more leaks. :-D

The wires for the lighting are giving me some grief though, they arent long enough to really reach into the tank stand. lol Still have to mount 2 power strips in there anyway so maybe I can get them to reach.

Gonna be moving some live rock today in a bit, just wanted to get the tank up and running. I plan on sticking a regular koralia in it until I get the vortech at the end of the month so that the water can circulate at least.

Another MAJOR issue is the noise coming out of the anti siphon hole in the return pipe, looks like we will have to yank out that whole piping and put a hole in further down. Other than that though I think I am set. lol

Here is a picture of the tank with the led panel on with whites and blues. The light is really really bright too and does penetrate to the bottom of the tank.

I also won a frag of pink favia last night at my reef club meeting so theres a shot of that coral as well.

img_1900891_0_938d24307fcd771137c2a7f273833f9f.jpg

img_1900891_1_6b04f5c7780d20bc35649bb9937c2e82.jpg

Hey Carey , what are the dimensions on that Tao light... Looks like a decent light, thinking about putting it on my 15g

carey said:
Got the plumbing flowing and no more leaks. :-D

The wires for the lighting are giving me some grief though, they arent long enough to really reach into the tank stand. lol Still have to mount 2 power strips in there anyway so maybe I can get them to reach.

Gonna be moving some live rock today in a bit, just wanted to get the tank up and running. I plan on sticking a regular koralia in it until I get the vortech at the end of the month so that the water can circulate at least.

Another MAJOR issue is the noise coming out of the anti siphon hole in the return pipe, looks like we will have to yank out that whole piping and put a hole in further down. Other than that though I think I am set. lol

Here is a picture of the tank with the led panel on with whites and blues. The light is really really bright too and does penetrate to the bottom of the tank.

I also won a frag of pink favia last night at my reef club meeting so theres a shot of that coral as well.

Both things are very nice! I am so glad to see this tank up and running.

Ok, so for those still following LOL I dumped in my rock so now I just have to arrange it and I will be good to go. :) Still have like 3 pieces I want to get out of the 125g but I'll do that later today. Looks to be about 50lbs in already so I don't need much more.

of course I snapped a bunch of pictures so here they are! You all know how much I love pictures! LOL

img_1902115_0_938d24307fcd771137c2a7f273833f9f.jpg

img_1902115_1_cb4b312bba462c3b9f77497113e94aaa.jpg

img_1902115_2_f7245312b231837110b3ff7dc1c61f88.jpg

img_1902115_3_81a20e914f7763efeca8c5b2b790be23.jpg

img_1902115_4_41e2b1e8059a2ac75b1813831dcb1b0c.jpg

I love the look of these cubes!! How deep of a sand bed did you end up with? Looks like about 1.5-2 inches from the pic?

Lol that's all the rock? I thought you were going to go crazy with the rock work and make some kind of curved out wall so that it's viewable from all sides. Oooh and test out the shimmer thing I told you about by pointing the powerhead all the way up to get a ~~~~~~~~ motion at the top of the tank.

Yeah, the sandbed is only about 2 inches mostly, only used 40lbs of sand, the 80lbs would have been way overkill. lol

I want open rockwork in this tank, I have no idea where to start though. lol I don't want to build a rock wall or anything like that. I'll probably have about 80lbs when all is said and done. And I have a small powerhead pointed at the top of the water. :) The larger aqueon one is not working, shocker! hehe...piece of crap that it is......

Have you considered using acrylic rods to stack the rock up in the center of the tank? Would keep it off the glass and give you an island in the middle.

Yep, considered using rods but not sure if I will yet. I have some epoxy to get the rocks together but if that doesn't work i will have to go with drilling the rocks. :)

I'm picturing a taller structure towards the overflow and maybe 2 islands of rocks built up just a bit. I want some open sand bed for my corals. lol

Back
Top Bottom