Carey's Final Reef Upgrade- 180g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep the aptasia covered rock and put it in the sump. Get the bigger sump. You can never have a sump that's "too big". Sea Side Aquatics makes decent skimmers too, and a couple bucks cheaper than BM's as far as I've seen.
I have an account with a few wholesale companies and can save you a couple dollars on components. The downside is you'll have to send me the money and wait for whomever to drop ship your component. I'm not asking to make a profit. I'm just saying, if money is tight...

If I keep the aipastia rock wont they just migrate to the display tank? My entire plumbing and all my equipment is encased with these things. I didnt have a single one in the display until my copperband died, he kept them in check but even the hang on overflow is FILLED with them. I have learned my lesson about adding questionable stuff to my tank from this, I know exactly when the aipastia were introduced and I could kick myself for being so stupid. lol

I am definitely going with the large sump, it will have room for all my goodies like probes and other neat stuff. :)

And thanks X, I will keep you in mind and might take you up on your offer of I need to. You rock!

hehe, I put 2o peppermints into the display before I had the butterfly and they didnt touch a thing, at least that I could tell.

Since the aipastia came from the display and migrated to the plumbing and equipment wouldnt it work the other way as well? Like I said, the last 2 months the display has gotten clearly more populated with them. They are even in the filter sock when I change them out! These things are the work of the devil I tell you. lol

It's been my experience that, no, they won't come into the display. Maybe it's because i didn't try kalk pasting them here and there and they didn't release any spores. I did add 6 peppermint shrimp the the tank I was maintaining which had probably 20 large aptasia in it and within 3 days they all disappeared. I am a firm believer after that.

It's awesome to see the new thread going; that's fantastic! I'm really sorry, I am not very good on the equipment side of things. :( :lol:

Well we will be moving onto more fun stuff at some point redsea, like stocking! I know you enjoy that! lol

Speaking of stocking, just got paid so I am heading to a new shop about an hpur and half from me later today. He posted a beautiful tilefish and I have wanted one for so long! Here's hoping its a nice one and big enough to go into the 125g. My tang gang makes life miserable for the first day or two anyways, of any new fish I add. Not sure how hardy tielfish are so I guess I need to do a bit more research before going. lol
Excited to see a new shop and the fish he has been listing are awesome and cheap. Can't beat that!

Well we will be moving onto more fun stuff at some point redsea, like stocking! I know you enjoy that! lol

Speaking of stocking, just got paid so I am heading to a new shop about an hpur and half from me later today. He posted a beautiful tilefish and I have wanted one for so long! Here's hoping its a nice one and big enough to go into the 125g. My tang gang makes life miserable for the first day or two anyways, of any new fish I add. Not sure how hardy tielfish are so I guess I need to do a bit more research before going. lol
Excited to see a new shop and the fish he has been listing are awesome and cheap. Can't beat that!

Awesome and cheap is fantastic! I love going to new stores, that's always exciting. Keep us posted!

I have some Aiptasia in my refugium and had a few migrate into my DT from that. But I don't have anything in my tank to eat them.

But how can you be sure they came from the refugium? They could very well have come from the rock in the display. Things pop up years later in some cases.

I wouldn't put a rock with aptasia anywhere near the tank. I would rather be safe than regret it later.

Now you guys have me confused, not sure what I should do as far as the rock. I want this tank to be "clean" of as many pests as possible. These things have been tormenting me for the last year. lol

On another note, I think i may make this tank a 220!!!! Just got back from a new shop and their display tank was 220g and it didn't look all that big really. It sat taller than me and they said even they have to get on a step stool yo work on it so I guess if they can do it then so can I. LOL

AND I of course picked up some fish today. Got a tilefish for the 125g and a lawnmower blenny for the 60g rimless. They are temp acclimating right now. Hope the tangs don't harass the tilefish too too bad, it's probably risky to be adding it but I have wanted one for years, since I first discovered salt water. :)

Well, mail me that rock then. I'll put it in my sump with all the rest of the aptasia covered rock I got from other reefers. I don't have any aptasia in my DT.

I may want to add a copperband again, not too sure. I happen to love the butterfly even though they are hard to keep. I am however not a huge fan of buying a critter to solve an issue. I debated a filefish but I have heard they are hit or miss. My girlfriend had one and he didnt touch a single aipastia in her tank, and died a dew weeks later so not sure they are a hardy fish. i do like them though, not sure I want to give up a fish spot as far as stocking for a filefish though. lol

AND I of course picked up some fish today. Got a tilefish for the 125g and a lawnmower blenny for the 60g rimless. They are temp acclimating right now. Hope the tangs don't harass the tilefish too too bad, it's probably risky to be adding it but I have wanted one for years, since I first discovered salt water. :)

Congrats! Getting new fish is always a blast!

Do you have pictures?

I have a filefish. It doesn't eat aptasia, but it sure eats nori, and amphipods. Also nibbles on LPS occasionally.

What type of filefish X? There are a few but I think or heard that only the silver looking ones eat the aipastia. I like the red ones and the tassled as well. :)

Also, Mr.X, would you recommend a 220g over a 180g tank? I wont be going with a canopy so the height will be tall but not obscene. Just so uncertain. Is it always true that you should go big or go home? It's only a 40g difference, do you think that will make a measurable difference?

Thanks, as always....

Back
Top Bottom