Carey's Final Reef Upgrade- 180g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I go through I'd say 40g a week just for the reservoirs. About 15g for the 125g, 10g for the 60g and the 90g and maybe 5 for the biocube. :) SOoo glad I have the BRS ro/di unit, truly a godsend. I used to lug water before I got a unit. lol

I have some long tongs that can pick up rocks already BUT the length of the tongs is so long I have trouble with it because of my small arms. LOL Plus there is a finesse to placing corals and I prefer to do it with my hands, you get so much better placement and feel with your actual hands. hehe

I absolutely agree that it is WAYYY easier to place a coral with your hand rather than with an instrument. Not sure why that is but there is no comparison.

You have some great tanks. Thank you for posting the vids.

Just found the tilefish behind the tank. I am seriously bummed. I had glass tops and a large piece of acrylic on the tops and still he managed to get out. There was like a one inch space he coulda gotten through, which clearly he found.

I don't know why I can't keep any fish in this tank. I lost 3 pairs of clowns over the last few years and a sand sifting goby as well.

I'm just speechless right now, I hate this feeling, that was an awesome fish and she was eating so well...

I'm just at a loss. I havent had a death in quite a while and I had wanted pne of these fish for years, it was right up there with the yellow tang.

I should have put him in the 90g, that tank has very secure lids. But then he would probably have been harassed to death. I just can't win.

I almost forgot how horrible you feel after a fish dies.

I'm just at a loss. I havent had a death in quite a while and I had wanted pne of these fish for years, it was right up there with the yellow tang.

I should have put him in the 90g, that tank has very secure lids. But then he would probably have been harassed to death. I just can't win.

I almost forgot how horrible you feel after a fish dies.

Aw, I'm sorry Carey. One of my Yasha Gobies died by jumping last year in June. :(

I know how you feel. :( I hope you feel better soon :)

Sorry for your loss. Losing fish is always hard.

Thanks guys.

I have 2 rolls of BRS screening but I was waiting for the new tank to put it up.

I'm just amazed at how small of a gap that thing needed to get out. I specifically put the glass tops back on because of their likelyhood of jumping. I heard him jump several times since I had him but the lids kept him in. It's really sad too cause the tangs aboslutely paid him no attention whatsoever, that was my big concern and he goes and carpet surfs on me. Kinda glad I didnt pay the $70 for him that liveaquaria sells them for. I only got to enjoy one of my favorite fish for just a few days. I doubt I will try another one. :-(

Don't give up! Learn from this and secure your tank better. Then get another tilefish. Your an excellent reef keeper, don't deny yourself a good experience due to this sad incident. Secure your tank and get that tilefish!

Don't give up! Learn from this and secure your tank better. Then get another tilefish. Your an excellent reef keeper, don't deny yourself a good experience due to this sad incident. Secure your tank and get that tilefish!

Thanks for that, it means alot. I've lost fish before but for some reason this one has me depressed. Maybe cause it's been awhile, maybe cause I could have prevented it. I did what I thought was sufficient but it wasn't in the end. Stuff like this just makes you re-think everything you "think" is good.

I think i will do some water changes and work on the tanks, usually takes my mind off things and it will be nice to be doing something I know is good for the fish.

The other fish I picked up for the 60g, the lawnmower is still doing well, he doesnt even swim away when I get near by which is nice. Just gave the fishies an extra feeding too, made me feel better. Now to hook up some algae sheets and get to the water.

Sorry to say but this will be the LAST large build I will be doing. At least reef anyways. lol The cichlid tank might get an upgrade one day but a few of the fish have died over the last year so the 300g tank isnt really a necessity any more. We will see.

I am planning a nuvo 24 build as well, hopefully soon so we have that build to go through too. LOL That one should be fun as the Nuvo24 is 36 inches wide so lots of possibilities there. :)

I finally pulled the trigger last night on an led panel that is dimmable for the 60g rimless. I figured I needed to replace the current led's AND I was hoping to get 3 of those panels for this build so it's a good chance to try them out. The seller from eBay already has it set for shipping so I bet with fedex I get the light Wednesday or so. Will let you all know how I do. I got the full spectrum one with the green and red led's for $100 with a coupon from ebay. :-D cannot beat that price!

Thanks as always guys, I love getting feedback.

Ok so I have had a somewhat busy fish and coral week.

I picked up a used BRS jumbo reactor for $20!!! This will be perfect for the new tank as well as the 125g for now. And the price was awesome. :)
Also received my led panel for the 60g. It's a little on the purple side but I still need to mess with the adjustment knobs, so hopefully I can get the blue hue back. lol

Got a couple frags last night, a two head duncan and 3 zooa's. They are in the 60g right now but still havent opened. :-(
And the latest bad news is my lawnmower blenny jumped out of the 125g. Thats it for that tank, no more adding fish until I get a screen on it. The only bad thing is I ordered a large yellow coris wrasse for that tank so not sure if I should put him in there still or take the chance and put him in the 90g aggressive wrasse tank. :-(

Not sure I can get the screens up on the 125g in time and I was kinda wanting to save the netting I have for this 180g build, the netting isn't cheap and I am not sure what type or size the openings will be on the 180g.

I have 6 of those wrasses, they are not uncomfortable with jumping. They are among my favorite fish.

I agree with X, add water volume with a larger sump and/or a simple Rubbermaid frag tank. I have several of both and love the flexibility as to where I start new fish or corals. They generally live downstairs in the frag tanks for months before getting near the display tank.
Since they share the same water, they get fully acclimated and can be moved in minutes.

Last edited:
I went to lowes yesterday and picked up all the screening components. :)

Worked on it til this morning, lol, but I now have 3 really good screen covers on my 125g!! Yay!!
The yellow coris I ordered came in last week so I will be adding him to the tank this upcoming week. And ironically, a new fish store locally just put on sale for $18 a piece, percula clowns! I have been wanting a pair in this tank but the 3 previous pairs had jumped so I stayed away. Now might be a good time to get them! lol

Back
Top Bottom