Carey's Final Reef Upgrade- 180g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Red, I thought so too. lol I had to see him eat several before i was convinced he was in fact eating it. Just cross your fingers he will start eating the frozen now.

I am so glad to hear that he is eating again and good luck with the LEDs. :)

I am usually the first person who will tell people here on the forum not to get discouraged, but I am seriously depressed and am ready to just call it a day as far as this fish obsession.
Found the new blonde naso tang dead today under some rocks. I have no idea what happened, he was fine just a few hours earlier eating and swimming with the other tangs. The only possible thing i can think of is that I added the king hermit crab and he shifted some rocks onto the sleeping tang. The tang had a large long "bruise" that was very dark with no other trauma to the body. This would be the second fish this week I;ve lost and the second naso this month.
Water of course checks out, all good with the nitrates holding at 10ppm.
He was fine and fat and then just dead. I really dont know how much more of this i can take. I totally understand why some people bail on the hobby after events like this.
I dont know what else to say, I am somewhat speechless right now, and so frustrated I could cry. The last thing I want to do is continue to kill fish, whether purposely or by my own stupidity.

Hang in there. If you were killing fish due to stupidity, you would not have all the other fish alive and well. I would suggest just letting the new setup sit for a while. See how the older fish do and maybe add more down the road.

Sorry that it's been like this for you. We kinda started both of our upgrades around the same time and I've had no luck either. Mine is a week into the fallow period, so I don't even have anything cool to look at. I'm thinking of getting a few mushroom and Zoas just to have something.

I am so sorry this is happening to you.

Yeah, think of all the fish doing well in the tank.....if there was something really wrong, I'm sure those guys would be showing some signs too.

So sorry to hear tabout your naso Carey! Hang in there... You've been having a bad run lately, but we all do in this hobby... It's never easy losing a fish, but rest easy knowing you provided the absolute best environment you could for him. It was totally out of your control...

Hope you have a better week!

What would you do if not this? It's too late to quit....you'll always be wanting a tank if you do. Might as well keep the one you got. ;)

Hi Sniper, thanks for asking. No changes or deaths in the tank since the naso. I'm still believe it or not kinda depressed about the whole situation. It's all I thought about over the holidays. I'm not sure what I will add or not add at this point. I really wanted a 4th tang for this tank but it seems every one I add dies. I'm debating adding a couple more chromis and maybe a small school of lyretail anthias.s. Just terrified that they will die as well. I just have to get over ti I suppose, it just kills me inside everytime a critter dies off on me.
The only good thing is that twitcy the yellow tang has started eating again, same pig as he always was. The second I pulled the naso out he began eating again. I guess he doesnt want anymore tangs in the tank. Strange little fish. lol
The stand for the 60g should be ready any day now so I am gonna be working on that for awhile I'm guessing. I also got my reefkeeper hooked back up finally and it is running well. I made a plastic case/cover for the power strips so I dont get any water damage again.
As for the 60g rimless, any suggestions guys? There will be a pair of perc clowns, a linear blenny and a mandarin going in from the biocube, oh and two clown gobies.
Not sure what I want to add, a larger fish would be cool but not sure what to get. Open to suggestions.....

Glad things have turned for the better. Just give the big tank some time to rest and maybe there will be different outcomes.
In terms of the other tank, why not try an indigo dottyback?

Nothing that will eat pods, since you are adding the mandarin. Are you adding any shrimp? How about a flame hawk? I've always wanted one of those but always kept shrimp so I passed.

I have three hawkfish, one flame in the 90g, and a falco and arc eye in the 180g. I think I want a swimmy type fish in the 60g, all the others are pretty much perchers. The mandarin eats frozen and pellets but I am sure he eats what pods he finds here and there since he hunts everyday all day. lol I havent had much luck with dottybacks, the last one I had was nasty, killed one fish and almost killed a second one. :-(
It seems I have or have had so many different fish there arent many I havent kept yet. Another midas blenny would be nice but I know they jump and I wont be putting a top on this rimless.

I thought about a pygmy angel actually, but I am hoping to have the rest of my corals in that tank. Dont the angels nip?

I've never had one that caused any major issues, but I suppose there's some who have. I've also had a yellow mimic tang that decided it liked to eat $1500.00 chalices.....ya never know.

Glad it's getting better Carey!

I vote for the pygmy! I have one, and it hasn't nipped anything yet. I've heard that they're good as long as there well fed, but YMMV...

Its funny because I saw this earlier and did not have time to reply, but I was going to suggest either a cherub or Flameback Angel. Cool little fish.

If keeping a pygmy angel from eating coral is as simple as keeping it fed I think i may have that covered. lol SInce the mandarin is going in this tank I will be feeding multiple times daily. :) How about a lemonpeel? I LOVE the bright yellow and blue eye thing, I had one for a few days a few years ago but she didnt make it. One of the few fish that came from liveaquaria that died before its time.
I was also thinking of a firefish, or should I maybe put the firefish into the 180g as it has lids? The firefish that I did have never jumped or made any indication that they wanted to jump. lol
I'm trying to get excited again at the prospect of stocking, to be honest I havent had much fish "desire" lately which I chalk up to losing so many fish in such a short time frame, more so because I really really wanted them to make it. Since stocking is one of the best parts of keeping a tank I figure I'll concentrate on that for now and see if it doesnt get me jazzed up. :)
I'm really thinking the angel will be a good choice. Great suggestions guys, thanks. Now, what else to add? The fish I have for the 60g will be mainly small, except for the eventual growing of the perc clowns so I know I have a ton of room to go. Any ideas on any out of the ordinary fish? I love to have different fish that you dont see in tanks everyday. lol

Back
Top Bottom