Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL, I am using a point and shoot nikon. Not a very good camera but it';s ok and it takes video too so that works out for me and my obsession with taking photos/videos of my tanks. ;-)

So it's been awhile and I figured I'd update the thread. I did a head count yesterday and realized the evil goby was missing. I had seen him the night before so I wasn't really too worried. So I went about my business, I am having a reef club meeting at my place on Saturday so I was cleaning like a banshee. lol Go to clean under the tv stand and yep, you guessed it, the evil goby was under there, a few feet from the tank. :-(

As if that wasn't bad enough, after more cleaning under there we found the remains of the long lost clown fish that mysteriously disappeared about 6 months ago. :-(

Bummer day, but at least now i know the tank didn't gobble up the fish, and there was a logical explanation why they died/disappeared.

This brings me to wonder what I can add to this tank that won't jump. I have ruled out more clown fish and no more bottom/rock dwellers like the evil goby since I still have a pink spotted watchman and the lawnmower blenny. I'm thinking of getting a melranus wrasse for the flatworms and cause they look cool and maybe some more blue reef chromis or another female anthias. I know the chromis and the anthias will be ok in this tank just wanted some more variety. lol

Otherwise the tank is doing well, the copperband is still eating very well and the tangs are getting big and fat. lol

The only other bad thing is the aipastia issue I now/still have. The display tank is completely clear of them BUT the overflow is infested and now the refugium has them. I can take the overflow off and soak it to kill those but the refugium is another story. I was thinking maybe now is the time to empty the refugium and just get rid of it. It has a bunch of rocks, chaeto and maybe 15lbs of sand.

So what do you guys think? I'm kinda at a crossroads and any and all input or opinions are more than welcome. As a side note I do not and have not ever had any algae issues with this tank in any way so I don't think taking out the refugium would be a big deal.

:)

Sorry for the long post, but you know me, I just get carried away sometimes. At least i didn't post a 100 pictures today! LOL

Why would you get rid of the refugium? I thought they were a good thing to have for your tanks?

I'm still wanting the Blue Chromis also, and some wrasse. If you get the egg crate cut close enough to the HOB's will the jumpers make it through the holes?

Awesome pictures!!!!!

I have 2 emails out for 2 new tanks!!!! Just waiting to hear back. I caught the one right after it was posted so I figure I have a good shot on that one.

What i found was a 275( or 200) gallon non drilled tank, that would be for my cichlids. The second is a 220 that is drilled and that would be the upgrade to this reef tank.

I'm SOOO excited, I hope the tank(s) go through! The cichlid tank would be an easy switchover too so that I could do right away. The 220 would need a new stand as it's on a metal one now. :-( So that tank would take a while to upgrade into though. But on the bright side I have the spot picked out already so I could do a super slow move over of my 125g and have both tanks up and running so it would be so much easier.

The 220 comes with a 60g sump so I would have that but I would also need a bigger skimmer. PLUS I am not sure how effective my 12 bulb t5 fixture would be over it.

What would you guys do as far as lighting a 220? I can't hang anything so led panels are out....would a 3 X 250 halide light be enough to reach the bottom of a 220? There is a 6 foot hid light for $100 on CL so that could be an option....

Let me know what you guys think!

I am already drooling at the thought of being able to get more tangs and a real school of anthias...along with a large school of blue reef chromis! Oh the possibilities!!

Huh? What is the name of this thread?
I guess it's like my boat. "I promise hun, this is gonna be the biggest boat I'll buy". NOT

Ingy said:
Huh? What is the name of this thread?
I guess it's like my boat. "I promise hun, this is gonna be the biggest boat I'll buy". NOT

Lol... That's awesome...

You could do what im doing for my 110. Im building a new canopy with a center and cross bar braces that i can attach LED fixtures to. Halides would always be an option too.

Fishkeeper92 said:
You could do what im doing for my 110. Im building a new canopy with a center and cross bar braces that i can attach LED fixtures to. Halides would always be an option too.

Yeah that or the thing kio did with metal rods and wood.

Don't think I could possibly do a hanging setup, it's just too much for me. lol

Keep in mind I'm a simple girl who just started making her own sumps so hanging stuff is beyond me. LOL

There's a possible kink in my plans though, I am now looking at a used 220g on CL. I made a new thread under equipment to ask some questions about it.

carey said:
Don't think I could possibly do a hanging setup, it's just too much for me. lol

Keep in mind I'm a simple girl who just started making her own sumps so hanging stuff is beyond me. LOL

There's a possible kink in my plans though, I am now looking at a used 220g on CL. I made a new thread under equipment to ask some questions about it.

It's not hanging. It's in the canopy and a canopy looks nice too.

had an awesome day coral shopping!!!

Picked up a huge favia brain, a stunner chalice, another cephastrea and a nice red cap. :)

The brain has to go in this tank since it's so big and the others are small so into the 60g they go! lol

What was super cool is that the favia only cost 25 bucks! Yep, I got a hecka good deal today! :-D

carey said:
had an awesome day coral shopping!!!

Picked up a huge favia brain, a stunner chalice, another cephastrea and a nice red cap. :)

The brain has to go in this tank since it's so big and the others are small so into the 60g they go! lol

What was super cool is that the favia only cost 25 bucks! Yep, I got a hecka good deal today! :-D

...and the pictures are coming when?

Back
Top Bottom