Carey's Newest Build: Aqueon Evolve 8G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so like I don't have enough tanks already,lol, but I couldnt resist. Thanks to a post on this forum I found out that Petsmart was doing a 50% off sale on their desktop tanks!!! Instead of $80 for it is was only $40!!! I mean really, how can you pass that up? I got the largest one they had at 8g, they had all of them marked down from the 2g all the way up. But they were almost as much as this one so I got the big one, bigger is always better! LOL

So I took everything out and it seems like a really simple system. The return pump is at 98gph, which depending on the actual flow I might upgrade to a slightly bigger pump that I probably have laying around. I am not a fan of the filter "cartridge" so I am open to suggestions. :)

It came with a small led fixture that can be switched between blues and whites and blues. I guess a good question is what can I keep under it? I was thinking mushrooms and other low light corals. Again, any suggestions are welcome. I do not know how many watts it is putting out though, can't seem to find that information. :-( It has many many leds' so I imagine it is a tiny wattage per each led.

AND finally, stocking! This is the fun part. If you had this tank what would you put in? This might be my chance to finally get some sexy shrimp, the tank is small enough to actually see them.

Here are the pictures that of course come with any new build.

Hi Carey, looks like fun. I bet those LEDs are 0.25W or so each. Even if the wattage adds up to what seems like a suitable number, low powered LEDs like that won't penetrate through the water sufficiently for most coral.

No harm in giving a couple shrooms a try though and seeing how it goes. If things start going south you can always toss them back in another tank and try again.

A single PAR38 bulb might be a good candidate for this tank, if you wanted to make sure you had enough light for softies and probably even some LPS? Something like this?
Aquarium LED PAR38 Bulb 15W Actinic Blue 10K 14k White w Clamp Mount Gooseneck | eBay

Why not just dismantle current led lighting and put in the 3 watters. Any electronic store can help you build it.

My only point was you couldn't just swap the LEDs for 3W LEDs. You'd have to pick up a new driver as well.

Yeah, I've been researching possible light upgrades since I got home with the tank. I have some really good options I think. The par38 I think will be too bulky, I've used them before over my 4g and it just overwhelmed the tank. lol

I added a koralia 425 and have it loaded up with water already. I am in search of some sand, I'm thinking of taking some out of the 90g since it has waaay too much anyways. I already have the 2 rocks picked out that I will move in as well, so no cycle for me. woot!

In theory it would be nice to switch out the baby led for 3watters but like stated I would need a new driver for them. :-( There are some really good pico led lights that I can put over it though so it's not hopeless.

Yeah lots of options out there, for sure. I looked closely at these when I was looking for solutions for my 12 Long. They have a few really nice nano type fixtures, though they are pricey.
aQ.LED

You could put together a kit from rapid... you could use a 12" wide heat sync.
Drilled/tapped 1.4" x 12" Aluminum Heatsink - Rapid LED

And come up with something like I put on the 12 long.
19738-albums11420-picture54103.jpg

You could probably build something at 12" for $30-40 total if you have a soldering iron. We could help you through it :)

Just finished putting the sand in, bit of a dust cloud so I will wait til it settles and go from there. I'm using very fine aragonite sand, I think I want a goby/shrimp pair so I couldnt go with the heavier grain of sand that I used in a few of my tanks.

I'm thinking the goby/shrimp, an emerald crab, a sponge crab and maybe some sexy shrimp. Does anyone know if you can keep larger shrimp with sexy shrimp? I'd love to get a cleaner or fire shrimp as well. Due to the size I am very limited for livestock so it will be alot of inverts I'm guessing. lol

hey Fort, when did you set up that 12l? Thats a mr aqua right? I have been eying that one for awhile but just couldnt figure out the lighting or a stand for it. lol

It's a GLA but same dimensions as the Mr. A.

I could be wrong but I'd worry about the emeralds with smaller shrimp too. My coral banded shrimp and emeralds square off all the time and it seems like a lot of the time the emeralds are picking the fight.

Aww that's too bad, emeralds are one of my favorite. :-( Maybe I can go with the sponge crab and the shrimp. Though I will miss the little "dance" the emeralds do on the front glass. lol

Do you think a tiny emerald would still be a concern? The ones I have now don't really mess with anything, they hide most of the time except at night. And I would love to have a showcase shrimp, like a large cleaner. he could perch on top of the rocks and I think it would look awesome.

Oh, I have been browsing that link you posted for the canadian led shop, and wow! I think I may go with the par30 or par38 (though I think the par38 will be too much light) or the touch panel which is I believe 10.8 watts. It only has a par rating of 50 at 12 inches though so that might not be enough light. lol The tank itself is only 12 inches wide so I need a fixture that will fit on it. :)

if you find a filter upgrade solution, let me know! Ive had the 4g version of this tank for a few months now and i've had no luck with the filter(s).

It is pretty tank though :)

I was thinking maybe i can make a tray or something out of eggcrate or acrylic. I have something similar in my biocube and it's awesome. I run filter pad on top shelf, followed by Purigen and the chemiclean on the bottom section. The water just flows down thru the compartments. Gonna go take some measurements to see if it's viable. :)

Received a new light I ordered today. :) I got that 12watt led ar38 bulb. Just put it on the tank and it looks pretty good. Now I need a gooseneck clamp.....anyone know of a cheap place to get one?

I have so far in the tank, a single hermit crab and a yuma shroom. I also placed an invert order with aquacon so hopefully will be adding a sponge crab and maybe some snails or hermits. Still searchng for the perfect goby/shrimp pair up....I want the candycane shrimp but am unsure of what goby will go with that genus.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Thanks!!

I haven't seen any cheap goosenecks. I did a lot of looking back when I was trying to decide on a fixture for the 12. They seem to run $60-80 bucks which is outrageous IMO.

I have the bulb in a very tall desklamp right now lol, but its hitting the water at an angle. :-( Guess my search will continue for a gooseneck clamp.

Thanks redsea, glad youre here to check it out!

Back
Top Bottom