Carey's Rimless LED Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks nemo, appreciate the feedback. Wouldn't ya know it though, I was looking on craigslist and there was a 20g rimless full setup for $250. :-( I paid $100 for the tank and filter setup. I have an email out tohim and I might just return the new setup and buy the used one. Even has a remora nano skimmer and t5 lighting. So I guess I'll just continue with my plans either way.

My next thoughts are for the substrate. Since the Marina comes with black silicone do you think black sand would be too much black or would it be a good contrast. I;ve had issues with cleaning the black sand in my pico, it shows everything...BUT in a 20g I should be able to clean it better since I can actually get in there.

What says the forum? LOL Black sand or regular white? I'm trying to buy and order everything I need over the next few days so I'm ready next week for the setup.

Any thoughts guys? or how about you lurkers, join the forum and comejoin me on my newest build. :) LOL

I have been considering that and since this will be a coral tank primarily that might be the way to go. I think I'll pick up some tomorrow.

Substrate color chosen! woohoo! LOL

The rock is easy, I was gonna order 20 maybe 25 lbs of smallish pieces and add the 5-8 lbs I have in the pico as well.

I'm still torn about using the stock filter that came with the tank. The aquaclear is my favorite filter and I happen to have an extra AC30. BUT the stock filter is way way thin and looks pretty awesome on the tank. BUT I was planning on adding a nano skimmer, probably a remora one ( I know, but I love my other one) and I'm not so sure it will fit with the wide slim stock filter.

This build is going nicely so far, pretty easy I'd say for now. The only thing I really need is a stand, and nope, I can't make one myself. lol I saw a nice sleek one for $65 and a clunky one for $85. The sleek one has to be assembled though. :-( Might have to enlist the b/f for that.

I also emptied the old 10g that is where I'm gonna put this new one. So almost ready for the stand. haven't even taken the tank out of my car yet. lol

LOL, I know your feelings about the remoras. hehehe

But as far as hang on back and small? The best I see is the aquaticlife one and I believe thats an internal one. Do you have any suggestions X?

Hmm off to aquacave to check it out. lol I thought they were meant for way larger tanks. I have a 24" length to play with and 15 inches in height I believe.

oops...sorry, i misread. i was thinking this tank a bit larger. surf too many threads, and i start putting 2 and 3 threads together....
what about the tunze nano skimmer?

Looked at the tunze, the only thing I dont like is that it sits in the tank. Also, and odd thing, in aquacaves description it says good for 10g and up to 52, but in another paragraph says it shouldnt be used on a tank with less than 26g.

Kinda confusing, lol. It looks like a solid option though. It's about 3 inches shorter than the octopus one. This is also going on a rimless tank as well, not sur if that matters.

Thanks for the help X, really appreciate it.

well, i don't know how much help i've been...
the octopus BH-100 is rated up to a 60 gallon.....and you generally cut any skimmer rating in half (well, at least i do), so...it's not too far off.

I plan on getting the stand tomorrow and the b/f said he will put it together so once I have it all put up maybe I can make a judgement call then. It's actually going up partly against a covered window so the space behind it may not be enough for a large skimmer. The internal one might have to do. I don't think I am immediately getting the skimmer anyways, I want to build up a solid tank and buy some corals before that. I'll only be moving what's in the pico right off.

On another thread clown gobies were mentioned....my stocking for this tank was only gonna be two clowns and the green clown goby from the pico. BUT veing as the gobies are so small maybe I could add another one or two...Are they any threat to corals other than laying on them? I also want a clam in there at some point as well. This is gonna be my coral showpiece. :-D

no. they aren't. i just didn't like them touching my sps colonies that i grew from 1" frags to basketballs. it would totally freak me out...lol.

I was going to keep SPS in there as well. Are they delicate or is it just the principal? LOL

well, they didn't show signs of stress, except the polyps where the fish was perched weren't out. eh...i just didn't like that.

Thanks nemo, appreciate the feedback. Wouldn't ya know it though, I was looking on craigslist and there was a 20g rimless full setup for $250. :-( I paid $100 for the tank and filter setup. I have an email out tohim and I might just return the new setup and buy the used one. Even has a remora nano skimmer and t5 lighting. So I guess I'll just continue with my plans either way.

My next thoughts are for the substrate. Since the Marina comes with black silicone do you think black sand would be too much black or would it be a good contrast. I;ve had issues with cleaning the black sand in my pico, it shows everything...BUT in a 20g I should be able to clean it better since I can actually get in there.

What says the forum? LOL Black sand or regular white? I'm trying to buy and order everything I need over the next few days so I'm ready next week for the setup.

Any thoughts guys? or how about you lurkers, join the forum and comejoin me on my newest build. :) LOL

i would return it lol.

and no i think black sand would actually pull it all together and bring out the coral color better.

I'm not a big fan of watching my corals close as my huge hermits climb on them, so I know what you mean.

Just found a used tunze nano for $50 on ebay, for that price I can afford to get it sooner than later. The cheapest I found it new was for $153.

It's early in the game but a sump setup would be over kill would you agree? I just want to showcase corals, some real nice ones at that. I also hate the idea of things hanging in the tank, ie: overflow or heaters and hob filter etc...

And one last question, I shouldnt paint the back glass should I? Kinda would lose it's appeal I think. But I was thinkingof putting a black background on the outside, the same tank i saw today that was setup had theblack backing and looked really nice.

i would return it lol.

and no i think black sand would actually pull it all together and bring out the coral color better.

Still waiting on an email from the guy, I don't have my hopes up. lol

See my last post, I was thinking ablack background and I think that would be too much black. Plus as was mentioned is the light reflective postivies for white sand. This is gonna be all coral pretty much

I also am going with LED's so that in of itslef should bring out the coral colors. At least I think so

Still waiting on an email from the guy, I don't have my hopes up. lol

See my last post, I was thinking ablack background and I think that would be too much black. Plus as was mentioned is the light reflective postivies for white sand. This is gonna be all coral pretty much

I also am going with LED's so that in of itslef should bring out the coral colors. At least I think so
yeah with a black background white sand all the way. and leds will bring out the color really well

Back
Top Bottom