Careys Tank(s) Lots of Pictures, Questions & Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 6 line wrass was in my overflow for a week. It's a pain to get him out. I put a plastic grate over the overflow flow so no one else can jump in.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

See, that;'s what baffles me. We have a cut up soda bottle blocking the only way into the overflow and yet he still ended up in it. he must have jumped OVER the plastic barrier.

Fish still amaze me as far as what they can and will do. LOL

So far I lost one of the really tiny chromis, he was floating on the sand one minute and the next my king crab had him and was having a snack. he was really tiny though, no signs of attack or sickness, i'm guessing he just couldnt take the stress of a new tank and that he was just a baby. :-(

Still have the t5's running without the canopy, we will have to cut out a section of the canopy to get it to go over the fixture so I need to wait on my husband for that little task. lol Been running the blues most of the day as I don't want to shock anything, I added a rock with gsp and a monti cap from the 40b into the 180g. Unfortunately I don't think the cap is gonna make it...... Started to fade under the orbits and it's not stopping under the t5's.

Well, off to be productive! LOL

I'm having the same problem with my green monti. It started turning brown under the orbits. I have had my kessil for 4 weeks now and I noticed that my monti is still turning brown even on the new re groth. I don't think it will make it either. This picture is just after I got the kessil, it has turned more brown.

Attachments

• 1406246632789.jpg
    1406246632789.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 102
See, that;'s what baffles me. We have a cut up soda bottle blocking the only way into the overflow and yet he still ended up in it. he must have jumped OVER the plastic barrier.

Fish still amaze me as far as what they can and will do. LOL

So far I lost one of the really tiny chromis, he was floating on the sand one minute and the next my king crab had him and was having a snack. he was really tiny though, no signs of attack or sickness, i'm guessing he just couldnt take the stress of a new tank and that he was just a baby. :-(

Still have the t5's running without the canopy, we will have to cut out a section of the canopy to get it to go over the fixture so I need to wait on my husband for that little task. lol Been running the blues most of the day as I don't want to shock anything, I added a rock with gsp and a monti cap from the 40b into the 180g. Unfortunately I don't think the cap is gonna make it...... Started to fade under the orbits and it's not stopping under the t5's.

Well, off to be productive! LOL

Sorry about the Chromis...sometimes fish can be fragile like you were saying.

hey Melissa, yep. thats kinda what mine looks like but its white-ish where yours is brown. :-( Its just fading away it seems. I have it mid tank under good flow in the 180g but it's still not looking good. I'm guessing I waited too long to move it from the 40b and the orbits.
On the other side of that Monti rock I have is a really nice patch of gsp which seems to be doing really well. Took two days for it to come out but now it's flowing and nice and green. :)
I'm planning on doing some massive water changes over the next few days, I skipped the 180g due to adding so many small-ish fish, I didn't wanna freak them out. LOL Nitrates are still holding at between 10-15 so a really good change should drop it nicely. Also, thinking of putting the biopellet reactor back on the 180g. Clearly it wasnt the reason for the decline of the toadstool and other corals, so I'd like to give it another try. I don't think it helped tremendously with the nitrates and phosphates but it did, in my opinion, make a difference. I have the perfect reactor, a few bags of pellets so no reason to let them go to waste. lol
I have my reefkeeper up on ebay so i am hoping that i will have some money to re-invest in my fishies. Soem will have to go to bills but some should go back into aquaria since thats where it came from. LOL I am soo baddd.....

Hi mr X I have a problem with the alk I try to keep it around 9.0 or a little higher but as soon as I get higher it will drop to 7.0. Not to sure why but to keep it higher I have to dose alk just about every day.

The alkalinity in the 180g is at about 9- 9.5 which is where I like it. Calcium is a little low around the 400 range and last time I checked magnesium it was about 1350? I think it was..... nothing seemed out of whack as far as parameters. the monti is even more whitiesh-brown today, I give it another 3 days or so and it will mostly be gone I think. Planning on a water change today or tomorrow but I doubt that will help the monti.

Sooo everyone, today was the Space Coast reef Conference!! they have it every year, but this year there was like no one there, no idea why, might be that people just had reefapalooza locally so they might have been burnt out on coral buying. lol

But since there wasnt a huge crowd, I absolutely cleaned up on the raffle! LOL here is a list of what I won and there are pictures below too. The first pictures will be of something that no one had any idea what it was. Please take a look guys and let me know what you think it is, MrX, you will probably have the answer, lol, but please anyone who knows let me know. My best guess is a bubble coral, but it is quite big, so not sure they typically come that big. lol
Anyways, I won:
The huge mystery coral
A 20+ head colony of acans
5 head acan
5 head acan
a candycane, just one lol
an elephant ear mushroom, it is over a foot in diameter! woohoo
40lbs of live purple reef saver rock. It is the fake purple stuff, but its like $10 a lb at my lfs so I think I did really well
2 passes to coral con in october
$50 gift card for top shelf
$50 gist card for reefersdirect
The ENTIRE line of dr tims one and only products. lol they make alot of stuff geez
AND an ORA clownfish tshirt! hahaha

I know its a alot of stuff, I generally win alot for some reason, the only luck I ever have I think. But if you guys know what the following coral is please post. Am really curious and its opening really slowly.

Wanted to link this post that i ran across today

Marine Depot Blog: 8 Things You Should NEVER Do When Starting a New Reef Aquarium

It's on the marinedepot page but is an awesome not to do list for new reefers. Wasnt sure if i could make a new thread for it being as its just a link to another page. lol

But if everyone who is new to reefing or even saltwater in general, read this and followed it then there would be alot more happy fishkeepers. :)

Also wasnt sure if I needed permission to repost the text here from marine depot so thats the reason for the above link. I usually dont tout things like that but it was such a god article.
lol

Im no help with identifying the coral but you hit the jackpot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow, you made out very well! I love that little Goby in the 40g. I am not much help in the coral department, unfortunately, I am only aware of the basics. I am sure Doug will chime in soon.

$100 worth of gift cards! Do you have any ideas on what you want to add with those? Start another tank maybe? LOL :)

Wow, thanks a bunch guys. I was thinking thats what it was but have never had one before so was really uncertain. lol I love that you guys know this stuff. :)

Not sure what i am gonna do with the gift cards, I was thinking of getting maybe something I normally wouldnt, like maybe a scoly or something. Also was thinking I could afford a tusk now for the 90g. lol I figure I will head out to the stores with the gift cards next weekend and see what they have.

So, went out to pump in some fresh ro/di water for the reservoirs and found a nsaty black substance on the top of the water. Turns out the cheapo powerheads I bought from ebay burned out and let all sorts of oil out when it blew. So 30g of wasted water. :-(

The monti in the 180g is still alive, I posted a picture below. Do you think it could come back? Its kinda faded....

Also took some shots of the 180g mushrooms and some of the other corals. :)

lol thats "pootie" tang, I've had him for a few years. he was like the size of a half dollar coin when I got him, he is soo thick and fat.

Back
Top Bottom