Careys Tank(s) Lots of Pictures, Questions & Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea, I figure half the price of new is a deal for anyone looking. Just make sure you type out what you paid for everything, and maybe even include links to the new components.

As for the 90 and a centerpiece fish, what all is in there currently?

The 90g has a big eye squirrel fish, blue eyed tang, banana wrasse, flame hawk and an engineer goby. Two turbo snails that are like 3+ years old too. Thats it.

How about a trigger? Surely you can't keep it forever, but maybe for a couple years....And if you buy one that's allegedly reef safe you can toss him in the 180 at some point.

I wasnt aware of a trigger that was reef safe....I am kinda scared to think of one though, they have never really showed up on my radar. lol My best friend had on, a niger, and hers was so nasty. he would try to bite your finger through the glass. lol

What kind of trigger do you think might work? A puffer is still out of the question I assume right? Keep in mind this tank is populated by kinda nasty fish now. The banana wrasse and tang are very mean.....

I think Blue Jaws are as reef safe as triggers get. I've seen people pull it off. Even that Mr Saltwater guy had a pair in one of his previous tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've heard the same with Niger Triggers too. Those and Pink Tails get a lot bigger, so I was figuring would outgrow that tank faster.

Pink tails are kinda pricey arent they? I was trigger shopping with a friend once and recall thinking it was a bit high for a fish. lol

So you think maybe a blue jaw? I will start scoping out who has what and see if they look like a good fit. :) I assume I wouldnt want to get a tiny one but getting a larger one I fear might end up like the wrasse that just passed. He was huge when I got him so I only enjoyed his company for a couple years. I worry about the other fish harassing him as well....I had thought of foxfaces since they have a defense mechanism and might be left alone. But no idea how a trigger would react. I know that friend of mine with the trigger couldnt put any fish in her tank let alone her hand for cleaning. I would block the trigger with a HUGE net so she could get into the tank when needed. lol

Again, it depends on the fish. As for the traditional one spot foxface, I have never seen one that defended itself with spines....even the one in the gym tank I maintain which is around 5" and been with his tank mates since the beginning get bullied regularly.
If it's a rabbit, I prefer one of these anyway-
p-90182-gold-spot-rabbit.jpg

I had a Blue Jaw years ago and just added one to my 240g a couple weeks ago. The old one never had issues with tankmates (Annularis Angel, Foxface, Green a Bird Wrasse, Banana Wrasse, Flame Hawk, Threadfin Snapper). My new one is still kinda timid, but staying out in the open more every day. It only has a Yelliw Tang and Longnose Hawk with it, so not much to worry about.

I like the Foxface/Rabbitfish idea too.

OOO what is that rabbit you posted Mr X? I know I have seen it before but cant remember which one it is. lol

I have a rabbit in the 180g already, so not sure if two would get along if I ever have to move the fish from the 90g to the 180. The rabbit I have is also on the aggressive side as he is just as big as my blue hippo tang and hangs with all the tangs like he is one of them. One of the few fish the tangs didn't attack from day one or harass in any way. hehe

Next trip to a lfs I will look into the trigger and see whats available as far as rabbits. I would think I might have to order a cool rabbit as I have never seen many cool ones in the stores.

Those are some awesome looking fish! I'm digging the rabbit idea even more now. The trigger almost had me but it's so unknown to me I just really cant commit. lol

Thanks guys, I will look into these splotched/spotted guys.

Careys Tank(s) Lots of Pictures, Questions & Thoughts

And just to add to the confusion...Scribbled Rabbitfish (Siganus Doliatus) stay a little smaller (10" max) and if you can find one with darker lines, they are gorgeous. I've seen more that look washed out, but occasionally there is a darker one. I'm considering replacing my spotted with one.
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/Todd_Huff/2015-01/72FD04AE-94EB-4A54-8CBC-B573A0A7D7BA.png
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/Todd_Huff/2015-01/0479A617-7DFA-480F-861D-A8C29123FCD8.png

The trouble with online ordering is, you don't know what you get until it's landed. Like vlamingi tangs for instance....most of them are quite dull, but once in a while you get a nice one with blue lips and spots....but the odds....

The trouble with online ordering is, you don't know what you get until it's landed. Like vlamingi tangs for instance....most of them are quite dull, but once in a while you get a nice one with blue lips and spots....but the odds....

I totally agree, especially for fish like the scribbled Rabbitfish or even a Blue a Jaw trigger (which are often dull). I have not seen many dull spotted ones and the ones I have seen have been the 12"+ biggies.

I'll talk to my favorite lfs, they seem willing to work with people, maybe they can order one for me. I may be going in this weekend so hopefully I will know soon. Iknow they order on tuesdays for thursdays so it might just coincide with my pay day being next wednesday. lol

Lunar wrasse finally died last night. I'm glad he passed, I felt so bad for him.

Not sure what I will put in the 90g in his place, I was thinking a foxface. We will see. Not in a huge rush to replace him.

Sorry for the passing, Carey.

Pink tails are kinda pricey arent they? I was trigger shopping with a friend once and recall thinking it was a bit high for a fish. lol

So you think maybe a blue jaw? I will start scoping out who has what and see if they look like a good fit. :) I assume I wouldnt want to get a tiny one but getting a larger one I fear might end up like the wrasse that just passed. He was huge when I got him so I only enjoyed his company for a couple years. I worry about the other fish harassing him as well....I had thought of foxfaces since they have a defense mechanism and might be left alone. But no idea how a trigger would react. I know that friend of mine with the trigger couldnt put any fish in her tank let alone her hand for cleaning. I would block the trigger with a HUGE net so she could get into the tank when needed. lol

I think I remember me considering a Blue Jaw for my 125g when I had it...they are advertised as more peaceful than other Triggers, right? But like X said, things can depend of the individual fish. I wonder what makes one species of Trigger more aggressive than another? Then again, there is a similar situation with Clownfish too, I think. I have read that Maroon Clowns tend to be pretty aggressive.

What do you think of something like a Bicolor Angel or another Dwarf?
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Bicolor Angelfish Dwarf Angel

Back
Top Bottom