Careys Tank(s) Lots of Pictures, Questions & Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Honestly, I think it's a bad idea to but GMO fish... The poor guys have had their spines taken out or shortened so they can't grow. Just sad IMO...

Now Designer clowns can be pretty cool, and since they aren't really GMO'd I think it's ok...

I thought Stubbies were just genetically different. I've never really researched them.

I'm not a fan of most designer clowns , but those last two, especially the middle one, are pretty different, IMO.

I thought Stubbies were just genetically different. I've never really researched them.

I'm not a fan of most designer clowns , but those last two, especially the middle one, are pretty different, IMO.

From what I've read and heard they are modified to be that way, though I may be wrong..

It's not to say that I like the way the designers look, but they aren't modified to be that way.

I dont know the stubbies look a little odd to me lol. I'm a little odd though so I dont know. lol

I have run the tao's over other tanks too and didnt like them then either. I just figured it would be different over the 180g. I only paid like $380 for the three panels a few months ago so its not alot of money lost, I can maybe get $200 on craigslist in this area. Dont wanna be without a light though so I will try to scrape together the $250 and then sell off the panels when the corals improve. I just hate seeing them this way. The toadstool breaks my heart.

Lemme see is if I can find any pictures of the 125g, I have so darn many.....

From what I've read and heard they are modified to be that way, though I may be wrong..

It's not to say that I like the way the designers look, but they aren't modified to be that way.

The ORA website says that the Stubbies are born lacking vertebrae, so it is a naturally occurring "deformity". They are apparently healthy and are just a rarity that they sometimes find. I agree that they are pretty odd looking, but I kinda like the oddball look.

The ORA website says that the Stubbies are born lacking vertebrae, so it is a naturally occurring "deformity". They are apparently healthy and are just a rarity that they sometimes find. I agree that they are pretty odd looking, but I kinda like the oddball look.

They breed the "deformed" fish with each other to pass the genes on.

No way that is naturally occurring. If it was natural selection would breed that trait right out of the gene pool as those clowns would not last long. Definitely a result of inbreeding and human intervention. The other ora clowns are great and just bred to have nice colors. The stubbies not so much.
:(
But we are off topic now and not focusing on Carey's awesome tanks! Sorry Carey!

Thanks Carey! Check out youtube.Bulf Reef Supply did one with 30 clowns.I forgot how big the tank was though.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No way that is naturally occurring. If it was natural selection would breed that trait right out of the gene pool as those clowns would not last long. Definitely a result of inbreeding and human intervention. The other ora clowns are great and just bred to have nice colors. The stubbies not so much.
:(
But we are off topic now and not focusing on Carey's awesome tanks! Sorry Carey!

Completely true, there isn't a way. But we are very off topic..

Carey- Is the toadstool normally very colored up? I've never had one, so I can't judge whether it's doing well or not...

I can't believe you are having so much trouble with the tao panels. That's all I am using. Everything is doing well under them, and the tank I maintain at that gym out in Paoli has had 3 of them over it for years now. It's got a pretty diverse coral assortment too, all doing very well.

Carey, maybe you just need to dim the lights down a bit. I've noticed none of my softies like these fixtures near max. My lps/sps corals were even getting lighter in color. Turned the lights down and everything looking better.

I run mine (blue/whites) at about 50% and have an assortment of Zoas, LPS, different mushrooms, a green Monti cap, etc. Some of my Zoas have gone from 2 polyps to 20+ since January...my Monti cap has probably doubled in size, my Jedi Mind Tricks is finally expanding by about 30%, my hammer is probably 300% larger and so on. Not a single issue and they were in a skimmerless tank up until a couple weeks ago.

I run mine (blue/whites) at about 50% and have an assortment of Zoas, LPS, different mushrooms, a green Monti cap, etc. Some of my Zoas have gone from 2 polyps to 20+ since January...my Monti cap has probably doubled in size, my Jedi Mind Tricks is finally expanding by about 30%, my hammer is probably 300% larger and so on. Not a single issue and they were in a skimmerless tank up until a couple weeks ago.
My thoughts exactly. I was at 90/50 now 60/30. Wasn't bleaching corals but I think it was too much light. Still getting great growth.

Don't feel like your overwhelming Carey I like all the pics and it seems more pics and stats bring out more replying from others. I am learning a lot through all these long threads and it's all going into how my build will go. I am sure when I start my tank next month (everything should be good to start early July) I'll be photo bombing a thread on all the steps in my build

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 180 cichlid tank that I'm planning on converting to a saltwater predator tank so I love seeing what people do with there 180s

I have the tao panels at 50% for both blue and whites. I dont know what is wrong with me, everyone loves their leds but me. :-(

I have been trying for months to get the right intensity and I just cant seem to get it right. I know I started them way too high, at 50 -50 which is why I torched the first batch of corals. I went way down and slowly raised them to their current spot at about 50 50 but still nothing looks good. As you can see in the pictures that toadstool is looking worse every day. I just dont know what else to do now. I LOVE that toadstool, have had him since the first tank i setup and would hate to lose him

Carey, I thought you had the orbit led's. If so what do you think about them?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Criptix: The bars come separately, so you can adjust how far apart you want them, so they would work just as well for your setup. :)
I would definitely go with the two brackets though, while they are sturdy enough, they always worry me a little bit. lol You can also adjust the height of the hangers by adding a wood block on the back of the tank so you can hang it higher up on the back of the stand, which is what we did. Though that setup looks like a deepblue stand and I think they have a solid back, at least mine did.

I would love love to have a tank full of clowns and anemones. lol How cool would that look? Get like 20 clowns and let em go at it. I wonder how many clowns you would need to alleviate any fighting though, I know 4 isnt a magic number. I was just before looking at photon clowns, they look silly awesome! maybe that can be my clown pick. I mean, I have to have clowns, what tank is complete without clowns? Specially mine, I always have the max count of clowns per tank, i just love how adorable and cute they are!
I just did a water change on the 40b and added some purple up, for what its worth anyways. I did win a gallon of it at the last reef convention so might as well use it. So the tanks are a bit cloudy, or I'd take some MORE photos. I don;t mean to be obnoxious with all the pictures i post, I just really love looking at them lol, I even look through the book I had made of all my fish and corals I have had. Its like a coffee table book at my house, people are always like wow, you had this? And this?
Yes, I had an official photobook made of all the pictures I have taken over the years. Cost me like $20 with a coupon on shutterfly and it almost looks like its a professional portfolio. Hardcover and glossy. Was soo worth it. wish I could have you guys see it somehow.
Anyways, back to fishie stuff for now, it's getting close to the stocking time for the 60g so I should really make up my mind soon. Just so many choices.....
The 60g is looking good. And I would love a tank full of Clowns too! Our local aquarium has one, and it really can't be bigger than your 180g (or it is around there). :D

I have really enjoyed following along all these years! It will be my three year anniversary here in July! LOL

That photo book sounds awesome and professional! The fish in the 180g look wonderful too; nice and healthy.

I agree....no such thing as too many pictures!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom