Careys Tank(s) Lots of Pictures, Questions & Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just added the orbit one week ago. The Birdsnest is looking better. Still running in acclimation mode. I am unsure of the names of the coral. Still learning.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402876393.376548.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402876409.615370.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402876423.882784.jpg

According to their own manual, this fixture is not good for sps, unless it's just under the fixture. Hard to say with LEDs and PAR values so I'm hoping for some hands on experience.
Orbit_Marine_Light_Specifications.jpg

I have had my orbit led's for 4 months. So far I have in my tank
Monti
Trumpet coral
Xenia
Frogspawn
Zoas
Mushroom
Rose bubble tip anemone
and just added this last weekend
Torch
Leather8

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm wondering about acropora. If you can't keep anything you want under this fixture, it's not worth while to me.

Ok, here I am! LOL Been so busy with all sorts of life stuff havent had a chance to post.

First off, the toadstool I had in the 180g under the tao panels is under the radion in the 60g. So far, very minimal improvement. It isnt declining as it was but its not looking that much better. I hate to say it, but I think I may have lost this awesome coral. :-(

Now as for the 40b and the orbit. I wanted to do a video and go over each coral as to the location and how well the orbit performs. But no video today, sorry.

The good part about the orbit is the color and ease of use. It really does put out a stellar color, not too blue and not too white, just perfect. It gives shimmer too and it has all the bells and whistles. (even if I dont use the lightening storm, its cool to show people who come over lol)
BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, it will not be enough for sps regardless of the depth of the tank. I had hoped being over a shallow tank like the 40b would give it a little extra ooomph but it doesnt. I also have the larger size over the 40, the tank is 36 inches so I got the 36-48 inch fixture just so I would have complete coverage and more watts of light.
What it wont keep: SPS, I had a hydnophora and it lasted a month or so and then just started fading from the bottom of the coral upwards. I have ZERO growth on my monti cap and zero on my hollywood stunner, these are the two corals that I have that grow the fastest and I have zip growth over the last few months. They are both placed high in the tank as well.
Anemones: I have a red tip bubble placed as high as it could go, about 3/4 of the way to the top and it is stretching for light. It will have to be moved at some point soon. The nem is still bubbling up and looks good but you can see it needs more light.
What it can grow, and very well: Mushrooms, leathers and other soft corals. I have a huge mix of softies and all of them are doing very well. They are showing great growth, I have several baby cinnamon palys growing and the zooas are spreading all up a rock. The GSP is also loving the light. I have some lps as well, duncans which are on the sandbed and are also multiplying and a hammer which hasnt popped a new head but looks good overall. I have a torch coral about 1/2 way up on the rocks and that too is doing well.
Overall, if you are looking for an inexpensive light that has great color and options AND you are only interested in soft corals mainly then this light has potential. If you think you will be graduating to other high light needing corals then this is a PASS.

I wouldnt steer you guys wrong, I promise. Either save up for a more expensive light or go with the the Tao panels that run about $100 each. So many people have had good luck with them its almost a no brainer.
As for what I will do now, I am undecided. I can add another orbit fixture and keep the corals I currently have in there or go with a new light. Not sure what to do. Hesitant to spend another $150 for the orbit but at this point I am already committed to the orbit so I dont know.lol I may move all the higher light needing critters over to the 60g with the radion and just keep the single orbit over the 40b and use it as a softie tank.

For ha-has I put theorbit over the 90g just to see how it looked. It almost has enough punch to light the tank, it might need the 48-60 inch fixture though. It is absolutely not enough over a 75g or 90g to grow corals. No way. My 90g is only fish only and is running a quad t5 so I was thinking maybe of using it over that tank but it just doesnt have enough light.

I know this was a super long post, but I wanted to be as thorough as I could be. LOL
\If you have any specific questions just post and I will do my best to answer. I have a great assortment of corals under the orbit that I didnt mention so if you have a certain coral, odds are I have one too under the light. :)

Thanks everyone, wish I had better news to report.

Thanks for the great write up, Carey! Just as most of us suspected, the orbit would not do SPS even on shallower tank. Oh well, maybe one day something like this will be too good and true!

always glad to help out when I can. :)

I had high hopes for more light needing critters due to the depth but not meant to be. lol

It is still a very good light for softies and medium light needing corals, depending on placement of course.

Sooo the toadstool in the 60g has folded over and is hiding from the light now. Not looking good for it. :-(

Also, made my second batch of frozen food for the fish, took about 10 minutes and the fish absolutely love it. I gotta make more time each month so I can do it again, so much cheaper and so much better for the fish. lol

Carey what do you use to make your frozen food I've been looking into it but can't seem to find anything that I'd like to feed my fish

I've been using a mix of seafood that I get from Walmart. :)
Its in the seafood section at my store and it is like $4 for a 2lb bag. Ut has squid, mussels and shrimp in it. Then I just use a mini food processor to chop it up, add some garlic and out it into a ziploc bag. I mush it around it the bag so its a very thin layer and freeze it like that, so you can break off a piece when you need it.

My fish seem to love it! I'd like to add some scallops next time, just they are a little pricey. lol Any kind of fish can go into the mix, just stay away from the fatty fish like salmon.

I've been using a mix of seafood that I get from Walmart. :)
Its in the seafood section at my store and it is like $4 for a 2lb bag. Ut has squid, mussels and shrimp in it. Then I just use a mini food processor to chop it up, add some garlic and out it into a ziploc bag. I mush it around it the bag so its a very thin layer and freeze it like that, so you can break off a piece when you need it.

My fish seem to love it! I'd like to add some scallops next time, just they are a little pricey. lol Any kind of fish can go into the mix, just stay away from the fatty fish like salmon.

I've been searching for recipes to start making my own food. Thanks Carey!

It's kinda a gross process, it looks just terrible after its all mashed up and boy is it slimy....BUT the fish go nuts for it. Just make sure if you have smaller fish to let it chop a few more seconds. I use the pulse feature on the mini food prep thing and leave some big chunks since I have some big fish. lol

You can also add some nori or selcon, anything you find in commercial foods you can add. I need to get scallops like I mentioned above and maybe some clams, my fishies love them some clams! LOL

hehe, it was frozen, I defrosted it and ti just felt like, well I dont know what, but it was mushy and slimy. lol Didnt smell fishy or anything

So, you all know that from time to time I make some bad judgement calls, well I think I may have did it again.

Was in out local store with my husband and he was looking at all the fish. I really wanted one but the selection was pretty good so no clue what to get for which tank. I went in to get some salt for my reef club and some turbo snails so when it looked like the hubby was digging a new fish i said ok, go with it.....I ask him what fish he wants, he never gets to pick the saltwater fish, hardly ever, maybe three times in the alst few years so this was his big chance.

What does he pick? Well, of course there were ruby red dragonnettes there which he really wanted me to get. I was smart enough to get outta that, they were less than an inch and werent eating frozen at all.

Ended up with something similar, I wasn't going to try another one of these but the hubby wanted it. LOL Not til we got home did I see how thin he was though, I fed him live brine in the acclimation bucket and then alternated live brine with frozen brine 3 times in the 40 and he ate every time. :) Not sure if I tricked him or not with the frozen, heres hoping.

Anyways, a new video, really short no voice just the new guy

scooter blenny - YouTube

Cute! I am so happy that you have been having good luck with him! :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom