Careys Tank(s) Lots of Pictures, Questions & Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I am finally getting around to making a general all around Carey thread for all my tanks. I've been meaning to do it forever. LOL

Currently I have 5 tanks up and running. Four are salt and one is an African Cichild Freshwater Tank. :)

I'm going to make a post for every tank, just took a bunch of pcitures too so we have some current shots. For those who don't know me I tend to ramble on in my posts and post way too many pictures and videos. LOL

The first tank will be the 90g FOWLR :

I set this tank up a few years ago and have had nothing but excellent luck with it. It is super easy to maintain too. The stand is like 42" tall I believe so it sits eye level with you, it gives you an awesome view. Current occupants:

Blue Eyed Bristletooth Tang
Big Eye Squirrel Fish- (bugeye)
Engineer Goby ( he is HUGE) aka teddy bear
SIxline Wrasse
Lunar Wrasse
Red Coris Wrasse
Banana Wrasse
One Black and White Clown
Flamehawk (Sumo)
Purple Pincushion Urchin
Pencil Urchin

For equipment I have:
Reef ready drilled tank, center overflow
DIY 20g sump, running a filter sock, eshopps psk150 skimmer and have a mag 9.5 return pump. For powerheads I have one Koralia 1400 and an Aqueon 1250. Lighting is simple, odyssea 4 bulb t5's 2 blues and 2 whites. :)

Here are a bunch pf pictures in the next couple posts.

Sorry this is gonna be soo long. lol

Thanks for reading

That's one grumpy engineer goby haha. Can't wait to see the other tanks and I agree with Mac, it will make keeping up with all the tanks easier

Looks great carey! You know she means business when there's no time to peel stickers off tanks haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Awesome is the word! I just came across this thread and was so excited I had to skip right to the comments, NOW I am going to read through, LOL. (I guess I do live quite vicariously). This will be fun! :-D

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone! Gonna get the rest of the pictures up in a little bit. :)

Picked up a squirrel fish for the 180g the other day, have some shots of him too.

And still messing with the 60g LOL

It never ends

Ok, so to give a complete picture of my tanks, I am showing you my 125g cichlid tank now. :) Started with cichlids about 5 years ago, right after we moved into out house. Started with a 60g hex and went to a 55g then to the 125g. The initital batch of fish we had have all died off so we recently went out and got a bunch of new guys. They are all just babies right now but they are so cute! lol

I just run a basic tank, fx5 canister filter and a pwoerhead, since its 6 feet long it needs the extra water circulation.

I know this is the saltwater forum but figured I;d share these. :)

I love all fish, Cichlids too. It sounds like everything is progressing quite well, and I can't wait to see the new Squirrelfish addition. :)

lol, I have been soo busy I didn't get a chance to finish off my "narration" of my tanks one by one. Gonna go get some new photos and get to that now. :)

The squirrel fish is doing pretty good, he slinks around in the rockwork, all sneaky like, he is still kinda small compared to the others, and they rough house doing laps so he sometimes gets caught in the rush. LOL But he eats really well and has some really good color so I am hopeful.

Let me get this thread up and going! I have some issues that I will be posting questions about after i update what i have and who is where. hehe

Thanks Red, I appreciate you still following after all these years. :)

Ok, so 2 tanks down and 3 to go! woohoo...

I guess we'll go with the 60g rimless. It's my current build in progress and has the nicest gear so here she is.

Deep Blue 60g 24 x24 x 24 rimless cube
A BEAUTIFUL custom made stand that took like 6 months to get finished and had to be returned once for adjustments. lol
I have a radion for the lighting which hangs from a set of dual hanging bars from current. I paid like $80 for the pair but it made it so easy to set up the lighting, I know I could have made my own with some conduit but that is SOO not me, not very creative and handy only to a degree.
A 20H sump partitioned for the intake, skimmer and return pump. No refugium, I never had much luck with them so skipped it here. I have a Tunze skimmer, 9006 which is rated for 158g. Standard aqueon pro heater just like ALL my tanks have and thats all I have running in the sump for now.
I have an ecotech MP10es as well for the flow. The return pump is a mag 9.5 which is pushing a good amount of water so the mp10 isnt really even cranked too high and the flow is pretty darn good. :)

So far, there is just a hige pile of live rock sitting haphazardly in the tank, say about 70lbs or so. I had been cooking it out back for over 5 MONTHS and believe it or not there are like 100's of feather dusters all popped out, bright green ones and even some zooas!! The rocks were in a brute garbage can out back since I got the 180g back in like November and there has been zero light shined on those rocks and yet the life is still there! Its so awesome to see, I don't quite understand how they all made it out alive after that long in cold water, no light and with dosing of ammonia up to 4ppm throughout the last few months. But is goes to show you that "life will find a way" ( who knows where that quote comes from??anyone?? lol)
My plans for this tank are absolutely and completely up in the air right now.
I have the equipment to go which ever way I want with it but have no clue what I am gonna do with it. lol You guys are gonna have to help me out when the time comes. :)
The only thing I want to do is make very tall structures with the rock, no piling it up, I want almost tree branch shapes that go high up, almost to the top of the 24 inch depth of the tank. I have special reef safe cement that I intend to use to fuse it together.

WOW, this post has really gone on and on...so sorry.....

But here are some shots of the 60g, it's such a great footprint for rockscaping but it really stinks as far as working underneath in the stand. lol So darn tight in there, makes everything difficult. lol

Oh that rimless look is so nice!! I have a feeling this ones going to become the crown jewel in your collection :)

haha, Maybe..... I hope its special, theres enough money tied up into that tank. lol

I was thinking, just a thought though, if doing an SPS tank. That way i could mount all the little tree looking corals onto the uprising rocks and in my mind that seems to look nice. OR I could do a big ole flowy tank with lots of flowy corals like duncans, torches etc.. BUT with all the thin tall rock it would look cool for lots of small swimmy type fish to be darting in and out of the structures.

Sigh. See? I have no idea what to do....

I've never gone with more than a small handful of sps before, but thats cause I generally dont like em. lol But I thought maybe it would grow on me and it seems like a challenge. But, well, I don't know. lol Should I put stuff in my tank for the challenge or because I like how it looks?

Back
Top Bottom