Careys Tank(s) Lots of Pictures, Questions & Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I posted the controller on craigslist for 124 and the ro/di unit for 75. Heres hoping I get some responses. :) If I get those two things sold at the asking price, which is totally a good price, I will have paid 0 for the rest of the stuff. lol

One of the filters, well, he gave me two, are on dr fosters and smith for 169 each. They are just particulate filters, kinda works like a ro sediment filter but comes in a canister filter setup. Think I may use one or the two of them on the new 180g cichlid tank. They are a bit rusty so i cant really re-sell them. But i would be happy to just get my $200 back, Im not the greedy type. lol

Got some updates on my tanks!

I knew it was coming, but the toadstool didnt make it. He rotted from the center and when I went to move him he just kinda fell apart. I got the largest piece out and am running a bunch of carbon now since it stunk like something I have never before smelled. It was awful. :-(

Now, not sure if this is due to the toafstoll dying but my rbta split last night. I now have two small anemones. :) I have never had one split before, its kinda cool.
I now have an issue though for this 60g....the radion will not program and its the usb port on the unit so I have to send it back to ecotech to get fixed. SOOO that means no light over the 60g where the anemones are and a rack full of acans. I dont think I have enough room in the 40b for em an if I put the acan frags in the 180g I know pootie will take them and hide them. He does this with any frag I put in the tank. lol I dont want to glue them either as its only a temporary location for the acans.
Oh well, guess I will have to be creative. lol

What gen is the Radion? I'm assuming the latest third gen, but I struggled greatly with the first gen units getting them to update. Now that I have two second gens, no issues. Tie that all into the Reeflink and the world is wonderful.

My radion is the first gen. :-( i got it used from ebay. It works fine just cant program it. lol
I hope it doesnt cost too much to fix. I am hoping to have them install the new outer body upgrade too so it looks like a gen3. :)

Yeah, the part I need is fused to the board inside. :-(

If you wiggle the cable while the usb is hooked up it will connect but its horrible to try to program and wiggle at the same time. lol

I wrote them a few months ago and they promised to send a new usb cable. Took several months but I finally got one. But their email response time seems very good. Hopefully they keep up the good service and get it back to me in a decent timeframe.

I found an old t5 quad bulb fixture in my section of fish stuff in the garage so I will use that for the time being. :) That should work, I hope.

LOL I have a double car garage and the entire back end is absolutely FUll of fish stuff. Not to mention the 180g and two 180g stands I have in there. I'd say its 80% full of fish stuff. lol Who needs to park their car in the garage anyways? hehe

I setup the t5 fixture just now and had to put it front to back rather than left to right, the stupid skimmer is in the way. But it is working ok. I had forgotten how "dim" the t5's were, I will have to move the acan colony on the bottom up I bet and I hope the nems will be ok with the lower light for a few weeks. I would guess it will take at least 2 weeks to get the radion back.

Ok, so just wondering what you guys think of the differences between gen 1 , gen2 and gen 3 radions. is there really a huge difference between them all? I was thinking that if the cost is high for the usb to be repaired I might just get the upgrade to the gen2 which is like $175. I do not keep any high light sps right now and dotn really see myself getting that into them so is the gen 1 still a good choice?

Thanks! let me know!

Somewhere between the gen 1 and 3 they did optics changes I think...I'm not really that sure. All of them are more than able to keep whatever you could ever want to under them. That would be a solid choice if it was cheaper.

Didn't you take the 120 watt EBay LEDs off the 180? Can you use one of those in place of the radion while it is getting repaired? Unless I'm mistaken.

My hubby is using them for his indoor garden now. lol I was gonna sell them but he grabbed them the day we took them down. he didnt even have the new light up and had them in his room already. Must have been eying them for awhile hehe

After looking further at the ecotech store, the $175 would upgrade the gen 1 to a gen3. For $275 I could upgrade to the gen3 pro. The pro is probably not necessary so heres hoping I can get my issue fixed AND get the new optics and added leds. I think they added yellow to the array but not sure. i will send ecotech an email tomorrow, (later since its like 3 am) and i will ask what is involved with doing the $175 upgrade and what I get for the change. :)

Started the rockscape on the 60g finally. lol

We got the first layer and the second layer mortered down. We are letting it dry and then gonna build it taller. the tank is 24" high so I figured make the structure go almost to the top, say 17". That takes into account about 2-3 inches for the sandbed.

This stuff is very hard to work with I might add. :-(

Also some news on the radion front. I missed the call but the tech left a message and told me the board had to be replaced for the usb jack to work again and that it would be $250!!! She mentioned something about doing the gen3 upgrade but didnt get specific, just said to call her back. So I will know more on Monday.

This is one purchase I kinda regret. I paid $400 for the light last year or beginning of this year and it was a fair price for a working radion gen1. But now i will most likely have to spend at least another $200 to get the light workable. that puts me into the light for $600 when a new gen3 is on sale for $5 something right now. Not always the best idea to buy used.
Lesson learned.

here are some photos of course!! Of the work so far, I know it looks crappy but it might come out good in the end. lol

Started the rockscape on the 60g finally. lol

We got the first layer and the second layer mortered down. We are letting it dry and then gonna build it taller. the tank is 24" high so I figured make the structure go almost to the top, say 17". That takes into account about 2-3 inches for the sandbed.

This stuff is very hard to work with I might add. :-(

Also some news on the radion front. I missed the call but the tech left a message and told me the board had to be replaced for the usb jack to work again and that it would be $250!!! She mentioned something about doing the gen3 upgrade but didnt get specific, just said to call her back. So I will know more on Monday.

This is one purchase I kinda regret. I paid $400 for the light last year or beginning of this year and it was a fair price for a working radion gen1. But now i will most likely have to spend at least another $200 to get the light workable. that puts me into the light for $600 when a new gen3 is on sale for $5 something right now. Not always the best idea to buy used.
Lesson learned.

here are some photos of course!! Of the work so far, I know it looks crappy but it might come out good in the end. lol

Sorry about the lights):. Everyone says the ecotech's service for broken parts makes up for high cost. I guess not.

Just got off the phone with ecotech. :) Gotta admit their customer support is very pleasant and nice over the phone. via email? ehhh not so much lol

anyways, instead of paying 250$ for a new driver board I decided to go with the upgrade to the gen3. It was $175 and the upgrade to gen3 pro was $275. SOOO I went with the cheaper option. Apparently the only difference is a red led and a white led. Not worth the extra $100 to me. I also am having them put on the new gen3 body kit so it will pretty much be a gen3. The girl there told me that they replace the fans and boards and the clusters and not much is left from the gen1. lol They will be shipping it out on wednesday via fedex so I might have it by friday or saturday. very excited!!!

I also sold off the ph controller and ro/di I got from the garage full of stuff I bought. So net net the 180g rimless and stand and all the other goodies have run me $100. Not too shabby.lol

I think we are going to plug the holes too and just run the fx5 on it. The glass spillway/overflow doesnt seem to want to fit in the tank now so I would rather not force it and break the tank. Not sure when we are gonna do the big move though. I have one other project I want to get done this week and that is to setup a betta fish tank. :) I figure i can get like 7 females and put them in a 25g tank and save them from walmart and their little cups. lol I hope I can keep bettas, never tried before. watch me screw that up.....

But thats the update for today!! :-D

Just got off the phone with ecotech. :) Gotta admit their customer support is very pleasant and nice over the phone. via email? ehhh not so much lol

anyways, instead of paying 250$ for a new driver board I decided to go with the upgrade to the gen3. It was $175 and the upgrade to gen3 pro was $275. SOOO I went with the cheaper option. Apparently the only difference is a red led and a white led. Not worth the extra $100 to me. I also am having them put on the new gen3 body kit so it will pretty much be a gen3. The girl there told me that they replace the fans and boards and the clusters and not much is left from the gen1. lol They will be shipping it out on wednesday via fedex so I might have it by friday or saturday. very excited!!!

I also sold off the ph controller and ro/di I got from the garage full of stuff I bought. So net net the 180g rimless and stand and all the other goodies have run me $100. Not too shabby.lol

I think we are going to plug the holes too and just run the fx5 on it. The glass spillway/overflow doesnt seem to want to fit in the tank now so I would rather not force it and break the tank. Not sure when we are gonna do the big move though. I have one other project I want to get done this week and that is to setup a betta fish tank. :) I figure i can get like 7 females and put them in a 25g tank and save them from walmart and their little cups. lol I hope I can keep bettas, never tried before. watch me screw that up.....

But thats the update for today!! :-D
Bettas are cake. Multiple females will be a bit more work, but really not that bad.

Hey Carey, you've been looking for a white tail tang right? I was just at pacificeastaquaculture and they had 1 for sale at $130. Nice size and beautiful. May want to contact them if you're still interested :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks bribo, I would love to get one but the price tag is scaring me away. :-(

I am going to have to cut my fish spending for the next few months as I need to buy a new computer for the new warcraft expansion coming in November. lol

I also blew alot of my budget this month on the radion getting fixed. booooo......

Back
Top Bottom