Caring for clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm assuming this is the right thread for reef questions. Can anyone tell me about the requirements for caring for a clam? This particular species of clam here:

Derasa Clam

I'm reading they're a good starter clam if your not experienced with them. Would I be able to keep this clam in my refugium on my 180 FOWLR setup? Or could I just keep it in the main tank? Or do I have to have a seperate tank setup and go through the trouble of setting up a reef tank?

Thanks,

Steve

You can keep clams in your main display tank, you'll just need to be aware that some fish like to pick at/eat them, so that'll play into your choices for inhabitants. Clams need a bit of light, so definately don't try to keep them in your sump.

Yeah but I've heard they need pretty good lighting. Although according to what I've read this species of clam here can get by on just a power compact light. Is this true? Or do I need better? Also I have a good power compact light on my refugium for the macro algae I have so why couldn't I keep the clam in my refugium?

Also don't they require different water parameters then say the way I have my FOWLR setup? I guess they're really basically the same though other than I keep my salinity on the lower side.

Steve

I have VHO lighting and have a derasa clam. Them and squamosa clams need only moderate lighting. I have mine in with the reef.

004.jpg

So I could get by with a power compact then? And would it be better kept in the main display tank or my refugium housed away from the fish? I went ahead and ordered a nice Green one, actually the exact one I linked here on my thread. Also went ahead and ordered a bubble tip anemone too! I think they'd be better kept in my refugium though because I leave my refugium light on longer than my DT light due to the macroalgae. Plus I plan on getting an Emp Angel and I've heard they may attack reefy stuff.

Steve

Yes they will attack your reef IMO. I would go ahead and put the clam in your reef.

Back
Top Bottom