Catastrophe! What do you do when you lose it all?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheIrishJedi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A few months ago a crazy ice storm ripped through my State and left 600,000 powerless for weeks. About 4 months earlier a brutal wind storm knocked out power here for a week and a half. Unless you had some kind of generator your reef was toast.

I am wondering whether or not you could claim the loss through homeowners insurance? I ask because even though we're the 17th largest city in the nation, we seem to be prone to catastrophic damage to our power grid. It is a concern if I'm going to spend a substantial portion of income on a hobby only to watch it die after a storm.

generally it would require a rider if they in fact would cover it at all. Generally there are some small steps you can take so that you don't such as portable generator, battery operated air stones and battery backup that would run a very bare bones reef such as power heads and filters.
However, if your insurance company will not cover it, you may be able to get another insurance company to carry you as a supplement. GL

I believe the normal "acts of God" aren't covered unless you have specific riders as Sadielynn mentioned. And even then, I would guess that the deductible would be so high that you really wouldn't get your money back out of it. Better use of the money would be to get a little generator for those "just in case" times. I have a little Honda 1500W Ecowhatever generator that is super quiet and will run my tank and a few odds and ends in the house. I've only used it twice, but the peace of mind it gives is great. I can bundle up to stay warm and eat cold food, but our critters don't have that ability.

Back
Top Bottom