Chaeto or other good nitrate-using plants suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If I want Chaeto benefits now, I don't have a light to be able to put it in my sump now, can I just throw it in my main tank?? Tell me the pros & cons. I know it needs high flow. Or is there another good nitrate using plant I can put in my main tank? My tank is a 75 gal FOWLR. I bought it used, moved it stock & all. It's my 1st marine tank.

The sump was full of sediment that I just siphoned out & I'm hoping that will lower the nitrates. I will continue to do PWCs. And honestly, I can't tell if the Protein Skimmer is working properly. I've tried Googling, looking up vids & diagrams, wordy explanations, etc. still no answer. It has a small vortex but no bubbles. The tank has no ammonia, no NitrItes. pH is low, 7.8 but they were adding distilled water as the tank evaporated & that could've whacked out the pH. I'm hoping consistent good care will bring it up slowly as the tank didn't have any nuisance algae (just purple coralline they encouraged), it was clear, the stock is happy & this has been what the stock has been used to, don't want to change things too quickly on them. However the NitrAtes are creeping up. Phosphates are between 0-0.25, so definitely not a perfect system at the moment :(

Please be easy on me...

I would not add any macro algae to the display. Anything with root-like appendages will become a nuisance. Chaeto will just blow all over and make a mess, bumping into corals and getting caught in power heads. Unless you make a refugium of sorts in the display. Something out of mesh, or eggcrate, but this will be quite ugly.
Implement a filter sock to catch detritus before it reaches the sump.
What is the model of the protein skimmer? If it has no bubbles, it's definitely not working. Take a picture of it perhaps. This is your problem IMO.

Last edited:
I would not add any macro algae to the display. Anything with root-like appendages will become a nuisance. Chaeto will just blow all over and make a mess, bumping into corals and getting caught in power heads. Unless you make a refugium of sorts in the display. Something out of mesh, or eggcrate, but this will be quite ugly.
Implement a filter sock to catch detritus before it reaches the sump.
What is the model of the protein skimmer? If it has no bubbles, it's definitely not working. Take a picture of it perhaps. This is your problem IMO.

Great, thanks. I'll post a pic in a bit! It's an Instant Ocean Skimmer. I will make a vid of it in action.

image-2008546743.jpg

image-13770454.jpg

It's much bubbley'er now than earlier today, the vortex. Does it take awhile to start working?? I took it all apart & cleaned it yesterday. Didn't feel it was urgent as the tank was clear when I showed up at the people's house when I picked up the tank Saturday. But when I saw the flow diff after I cleaned it, I was like WOW. There's not supposed to be any filter material inside anywhere in the protein skimmer, right?? I took a vid of it running, too. What do people do to attach videos?

The protein skimmer is an Aquarium Systems by Instant Ocean, MP (maxi??) 1200. Looks like it can be purchased for about $25-30! HA!! In the meantime, we had great fun hand feeding the shrimp tonight & practically hand feeding the very shy Damsel.

I got video of the shrimp cleaning the damsel!! Wish I could post it!!

The skimmer is FOAMING!!! YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either something just started working right after I bumped something or it just takes a couple of days to start working??

This skimmer is not a quality skimmer, as you have figured out. I would replace it as soon as you can. I would also get rid of those bioballs. they will catch detritus (uneaten fish food and fish poop) and become a source of nitrates. Also, that sponge barrier will need to be cleaned on a regular basis. I would remove it completely and just use a filter sock that i would change out every few days.

This skimmer is not a quality skimmer, as you have figured out. I would replace it as soon as you can. I would also get rid of those bioballs. they will catch detritus (uneaten fish food and fish poop) and become a source of nitrates. Also, that sponge barrier will need to be cleaned on a regular basis. I would remove it completely and just use a filter sock that i would change out every few days.

Great, Thks! Where do you put the filter sock? At the top around the pipe where the water enters the sump? So remove the bio balls, the sponge & then what should I put in the sump... A light outside & plants inside? Anything else??

I have a filter pad (I think called floss??) right below the piped in water above the bio balls, would you nix that too or what?

You could put more live rock down there. Some rubble at the bottom, under the algae. I would not have any filter floss at all. Just the filter sock which I would have right where water enters the sump.

I have had success with a chaeto ball in the main tank. I just make a small ball of it and tie it together with a thread. Put it on a lettuce clip towards the back. It grows fine and the added benefit is my tangs like to nibble on it.

I have had success with a chaeto ball in the main tank. I just make a small ball of it and tie it together with a thread. Put it on a lettuce clip towards the back. It grows fine and the added benefit is my tangs like to nibble on it.

Cool, thanks for your input! I had an idea... feel free to tell me no if it's a bad idea. <--I don't even think I need to say that (... mr_X! (o_O) HA!!) Can I just put Chaeto in my overflow box if i put a divider in there?? Like a secured thin sheet piece of bio sponge or something as a divider. It'll get plenty of water flow, it'll be separate from the tank, get light AND not get sucked up by the intake b/c the bio sponge will stop it??

So... I bought a sheet of filter sock as my store didn't have the size sock for my pipe to my sump & I don't have any (screw-type) threads to hold it on as they had plastic rings as the base. I just cut two sheets the size of the filter box above the bio balls & laid them in there doubled-up, they're 100 micron each. Also, took out most of the bio balls (I'll take the rest out in a few days depending on how testing goes) & moved some of my small piece-y pieces of live rock down there. I'll get some more live rock for the main tank. Totally forgot to ask about purchasing Chaeto at the store. My protein skimmer seems to be working well. My pH is coming up. YIPPEE!! Getting ready to do today's big water change. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE!! I appreciate it very much!

I would think if there is light present and you started with a small ball, that would work. Just keep it trimmed and don't let it interfere with the overflow.

I would think if there is light present and you started with a small ball, that would work. Just keep it trimmed and don't let it interfere with the overflow.

That is a big honor... I highly appreciate that. I'll private MSG you details. Gotta tell ya, w/ my big water change today, everything came down great (my water params)... very exciting!

Easiest stuff In the world to ship. Get with Mr_X or any of us, we always have some. I threw a bucket full away last week.

Easiest stuff In the world to ship. Get with Mr_X or any of us, we always have some. I threw a bucket full away last week.

That is super sweet of y'all! I'll have to MSG my info my info from my home computer as my "smartphone" is acting up! Ugh. Typical. If any y'all need some graphic design help, LMK! I do it for fun most of the time! HA!! I'm hoping when my tank gets beeeeautiful, I can pick back up w/ my photography where I left off... I get so head over heels w/ hobbies, they take over my mind! I'm sure y'all can sympathize!

Back
Top Bottom