Chaetomorpha Shedding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kfig7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I put Chaeto in my refugium about 3-4 weeks ago. It doesnt seem to be growing too much and its definitely night in a real tight ball either. Actually wasnt when I bought it either. It gets about 14 hours of light a day and I try to flip it a few times a week as its not tumbling. Everytime I flip it it sheds a lot of strands. Does this mean its dying? It looks to be a really nice bright green and very healthy but why is it shedding so much? Maybe I should try trimming it? Its actually a good size piece right now.

In my experience Cheato can be rather fragile. Whenever I flip my Cheato there is always some shedding. It took awhile after I got it to really start growing but it is doing very well now.
If it's not a large mass it may not be necessary to flip / roll it very often.

Chaeto just does that. It breaks off pretty easily and gets caught on everything. I had it in my main tank and it's pieces got caught on the rocks, sandbed, coral, powerheads, heaters, and just about anything else in the tank. It's normal for it to do that, so don't worry about it. Just let it grow, and only trim it when it begins to take over your entire fuge/sump, or if it gets too big for your liking.

Back
Top Bottom