Changing tank to Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 36 gallon bow-front aquarium that is currently freshwater, but will soon be changed over to saltwater. Any ideas for what fish/corals I should get? I am pretty new to saltwater, I've had this tank as freshwater for 8 years.

Have a read of the starting a saltwater tank in the articles section here, pretty good info. It's very different to fresh so be prepared for a load of research! I don't have experience with the bio cube but I am sure someone here does and can give you advice. I imagine the lighting wont support corals tho, do you know what lighting is in it? Other things to consider when starting a reef is that tap water is not recommended and you may need a powerhead or two for additional flow. A refractometer for measuring salinity is also a handy tool. Cycling a salt tank is different too, many use a raw shrimp or pure ammonia to start and usually takes 3-4 weeks. Any questions just ask here!

Welcome!I cannot give you any advice on the corals as I am doing a FOWLR;however,on the fish side of things I can.The best place to go for reference is liveaquaria.com.They have the fish profiles and the recommended tank size you can even choose whether you want peaceful or aggressive and skill level.Some example of fish for a 36g would be Chromis, damsel(though many would not recommend them),Clowns,Blennies,Gobies,Dottybacks and ,my personal favorite,firefish as well as a few others.Here's a link to liveaquaia beginner's fish suggestions for a 30g next size up would be a 40 but this will give you an idea of what your options are:
Beginner Fish: Tropical Fish for Beginners in Saltwater Aquariums
Good luck and keep us posted!Hope this helps!:fish1:

I have a 36 gallon bow-front aquarium that is currently freshwater, but will soon be changed over to saltwater. Any ideas for what fish/corals I should get? I am pretty new to saltwater, I've had this tank as freshwater for 8 years.

Welcome to AA it's always nice to see new interest .
As mentioned above .
RESEARCH and PATIENTS are the two biggest things .
Nothing good happens over night .
as for compatibility I will also agree with the above post .
Live aquaria will come very handy .
For cycling I will recommend using a raw shrimp instead of the pure ammonia .
The raw shrimp there is no testing or dosing just drop it in and leave nature do it's thing .
I added bacteria in a bottle ( cycle )
Nitrifying bacteria .
RODI water is strongly recommended as well .

Only dose what you test for ! Meaning don't add chemicals or additives you haven't tested low .
Everything you need is in your salt mix.
Good luck please keep up posted .
Cheers !

Welcome to AA it's always nice to see new interest .
As mentioned above .
RESEARCH and PATIENTS are the two biggest things .
Nothing good happens over night .
as for compatibility I will also agree with the above post .
Live aquaria will come very handy .
For cycling I will recommend using a raw shrimp instead of the pure ammonia .
The raw shrimp there is no testing or dosing just drop it in and leave nature do it's thing .
I added bacteria in a bottle ( cycle )
Nitrifying bacteria .
RODI water is strongly recommended as well .

Only dose what you test for ! Meaning don't add chemicals or additives you haven't tested low .
Everything you need is in your salt mix.
Good luck please keep up posted .
Cheers !
+1. although you may still want to test daily while cycling just to track your progress.

Back
Top Bottom