Changing to new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ducati2242

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im upgrading to a 50 gallon tank from my 25 gallon nano. When ive cycled and ready to change over I was going to get a further cleanup crew for a week or so before putting my 2 clowns, small yellow tang and royal gamma into my new tank.
1, Can I put them in all together.
2, what about my bubble tipped anemone. Will he survive the change .

Ive got 20 kilos of new live rock and will be putting in the 10 kilos of rock from my nano.

Attachments

• DSC00151.jpg
    DSC00151.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 120
i would cycle the larger tank with the new rock and if you don't see an ammonia spike, use some other source of ammonia, like a piece of raw shrimp. after the cycle, you can add the entire 25 gallon tank all at once.
this is what i would do if the new rock was uncured. if it's out of a local tank and is already cured, you can add everything all at once on the same day. you shouldn't see a spike. a diatom bloom perhaps, but nothing dangerous. yes, everything should survive the transfer.

The rock is un-cycled. Only came into the country 10 days ago. showing quite a bit of life and quite purple. Ive added the raw shrimp 1 week ago.At the moment my readings are .
Ph 8.2
ammonia. 3
nitrites. 1
nitrates. 5
salt. 1.026
Temp. 25.5c
Ive just put my second does of special blend in first being 60 ml second 40ml.

Everything is brand new and running a sump with cheato . 1 week old.

Don't bother testing pH during the cycle. Put the new uncured LR in the tank now. It should cause another spike in ammonia. Look for that, then for the nitrites to start rising again, fall to 0, while the nitrates rise.

When the tank is cycled do a large (30% - 50%) water change. Leave the tank alone for about a week and test again, but this time for everythng. If everything looks ok, move the other tank over.

Sorry I may have described what I have done badly. That is the un-cured live rock in my tank and these are the water parameters after 1 week of curing .

I don't get how you people put up with the smell from curing live rock. But good luck, you're on your way. If you can I would try to save any interesting critters that you find on the new LR and put it in your nano. Only introduce your nem after everything is cured and cycled. And even then, drip acclimate, very very slowly.

Sorry I may have described what I have done badly. That is the un-cured live rock in my tank and these are the water parameters after 1 week of curing .

If the rock was uncured when you started, the die off from the curing process will be enough to fully cycle your tank. Once Amm. and Nitrites reach 0 and you do the 30-50% water change your good to go to start moving things over.

If you plan on breaking down the nano and moving all your LR from that tank into your new one then you can just move everything at once. If you do not plan on using your old LR then you will have to add things over the course of a few weeks to allow your bio filter in the new tank to catch up to your bio-load. If your doing the latter, add the nem last. If that thing gets stressed out and dies, it'll be like dropping a nuke in your tank. Good luck with the new tank! :tie:

i might agree with you if it was just a few specimens, but i've kept probably 100+ anemones and didn't drip a single one. i was a retailer for a few years.

Back
Top Bottom