I thought I would share this for those in the market for a new RO
unit. A month ago, I purchased one of those cheap RO
units on ebay for under $100. After purchasing a TDS
meter, I discovered that my new 5 stage RO
unit was puting out very high TDS
measurement. I originally attributed this to the carbon taste filter that I failed to remove. When I removed it, I did get a couple of really low measurements and thought the problem was solved. However, when I tested again, although lower, the TDS
was still up around 100. I then tried to see if the RO
membrane was making a seal. Well, a whole roll of teflon tape later, I was able to get it to seal and am now getting TDS
measurements under 10.
The point I am trying to make is basically you get what you pay for. For those of you that went that route and are getting high measurements, you might want to consider this "mod". All-in-all I don't regret the purchase. However, I am disappointed that I have been using substandard water for the last month!