cheapest place to buy live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

army6192plt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am just starting a new 85 gal SW tank. The tank is predrilled with built in overflow from great lakes. I have 2 bags of play sand (not silicate) A proclear 175 and a seaclone 100 protein skimmer. I am ready to start the tank up now, but I need to buy live rock. I will get about 10 lbs from the LFS but I obviously need more. where can i find some cheap?

Thanks
Tj

Do urself a favor and get rid of that seaclone. They don't work at all, especially on an 85g. After biofiltration a skimmer is the most important part of ur filtration its worth it to spend some extra money on a good one. There are tons of sites online that sell live rock just google it.

Cheap?

..... no where really, it depends on what type and how much you order. Some sites give a little discount for bigger orders and some types of rock are cheaper than others.

I personally ordered from www.premiumaquatics.com and couldn't be happier. I got 40lbs of Fiji initially and just added a little here and there after that. Right now I have 3 different kinds Fiji, Gulf and Tonga Branch.

Do urself a favor and get rid of that seaclone. They don't work at all
I would not say "at all". I used one on my first reef tank (40gal) and it worked great. Now mind you, it had a longer-then-normal break-in period and required adjusting after every water change, but it sure skimmed like crazy.
If you are starting up a new tank check out www.liveaquaria.com for LR. It ships two-day air and will need curing once it arrives, but with a new tank it is not really an issue. You can use it to help cycle.

You can also get 1/2 you rock as LR and get the other half as base rock which is usually pretty cheap and put both in the tank and eventually it will all become LR.

Back
Top Bottom