ChemiClean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkimball

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All, well I wiped out my 125 gallon reef tank that I've had for three years. I started getting a good amount of green slime algae that was bothering the hell out of me. I went to my LFS to inquire how to get rid of it and they recommended ChemiClean, they also instructed to remove as much algae as I could by hand. Well to make a long story short. I used the chemiclean as directed with the proper aeration and within days my corals were dying. I did many water changes to try to save the coral, but in the end my tank looked like a nuclear bomb went off. It killed everything including aptasia if you can believe that! I really had mostly soft corals, a few LPS. Well now I'm starting over it's been a while starting a reef tank. I've started with a leather coral and some candy cane coral. What would you recommend as a hardy starter coral?? I have two LED lights, blue and white. HELP!

It doesn't sound like the solution is a hardier coral.
Seeing cyanobacteria or algae building up after a lengthy period of time points to something going on with the flow in the system. There is a pocket of gunk where things have been able to settle and decay. This is my theory on what happens with 'old tank syndrome'.
With that said, if larger than average water changes aren't completed then the nutrient levels can get out of hand easily, to the increasing amount of build up. I've done it myself without realizing it and it can take a lengthy period of time of water changes and siphoning out as much algae as possible.
When it comes to chemiclean, the product works as instructed but it is simply a bandaid on the issue at hand.

I do 25 % water changes once a month as far as the flow goes I have put in another blower. I purchased a RO/DI system. I am just so distraught that the chemiclean wiped out my reef. My water parameters are near perfect again. Looking to start over

The chemiclean isn't what did it. It was either not enough oxygen in the system during the process or a parameter spike from the quick removal of what was absorbing the nutrients.
A 25% water change monthly is the start. I'd recommend weekly 10% water change along with the 25% monthly. This will get things back in line with time.
Once things are back to normal, weekly 10% water changes should keep them in check.

I like sniperhanks prognosis. Sounds pretty good to me also. Keep in mind when you go to the LFS he is trying to make a sale. Make sure you research it first.

Back
Top Bottom